Original Tri-ang TT rolling stock issues

TEAMYAKIMA

I have a new build deliberately vintage Tri-ang TT layout.  I find that my Merchant Navy will only pull one coach around the layout,  any more and I just get wheespin.  I assume that wasn't normal back in 1962 and so again I assume it is because of rolling resistance.  How do overcome that with those open axle boxes? I am wary of oiling them. 

• RMweb Premium

Check the loco & especially tender trailing axles for their rolling resistance, also the plastic wheels collect caked crud which has to be removed periodically.

You used to be able to get ptfe tube bearings for the wheelsets/axles from the 3mm Society which made a big difference.

Dava

The "Triang TT Instruction and Information Manual " that I have states "Remember to oil the axle bearings of all rolling stock "

I have a test track on a "Nobo" board using T50 curves and T55/51 straights so I tried out my Castle class from set TCX  ( the only loco I could lay my hands on easily ) with the two coaches and it hauled them round the tight circuit easily, I then added a couple more bogie coaches with only slight slipping. When 3 trucks and a guards van were added the slipping was bad ! I tested all axles by hand before testing but all were free and have been in store for some time and I have never lubricated them

I then found and tried my Britannia "Boadicea which hauled the lot with no problem even though the wheels were sparking slightly. I can see no problem in oiling the axles as recommended in the instruction book which may  help.

Some, at least, of the TT locos did indeed have magnadhesion (before it was used in 00). I remember laying the track on a gradient on my then layout with finescale Nickel silver rail and finding quickly that I could no longer pull reasonable trains up. Quickly relaid with steel rail and problem solved. The class 31 definately had the magnadhesion.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I used to have a very large Tri-ang TT collection and layout and can confirm that it was very hard to get any of the steam locomotives to haul more than three coaches even on level track. Good Brush type two diesels could take four.

I found the DMU the most trouble to get running with only one of my five sets being able to run as a three car unit. The best of the rest would occasionally run as a two car unit and the other three were only suitable for filling sidings.

The problem with Tri-ang TT was that the wheels/axles were very stiff and you could park trains on a 1 in 40 gradient without a loco and the train looked as though the brakes were on!

Good luck with getting any trains longer than four coaches to run without re-wheeling all the stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

for what its worth do a Google search for 'Precision Lubricator with Teflon'. In days of yore, high street electrical shops used to sell these (Tandys and Maplins had them) and they are brilliant, being an Electrolube type product with liquid PTFE (Teflon). I've used it on original Triang TT wheelsets with great success. A quick drop in the right place and they'll run as well as Peco Wonderful wagon chassis. Obviously after a while (weeks/months?) you may have to lube again, but I suppose the prototype had these problems as well. You'll see on a net search that this item is still available from different stockists. Try it out - you may be pleasantly surprised (usual disclaimer). For those seeking PTFE tube, might the type of tube used for 'wire in tube' point control be suitable, or is it the wrong diameter?

David.

The open axle 00 rolling stock is the same.  Drags as hard as four pin point axle stock.  Oiling with a precision oiler, a syringe with a decent needle, available from a park or school playground near you, though mine came from a printer ink cartridge refill kit, works well though ensure the oil is on the axle end not the wheel treads  but you need to do it every couple of weeks.    If you get oil on the track then its all a bit pointless as the locos slip on the oil reducing their traction pretty much back to where we started. 

Edited by DCB