Hornby 08 Shunter on go slow

A4 Terrier

I have been asked to look at a Hornby class 08 Diesel shunter. It is running slowly even at full power.  After a few seconds it slows down even more to an unacceptable crawl.  The light on my Bachmann controller dims as if there is a short of some sort but if there is I can't find it. This is a DCC ready model.  Changed the blank in the DCC socket; no change. Took the TV suppressor off; no change. Finally took the DCC socket out of circuit, leads from the collectors direct to motor; no change.  Don't know what to do next. Has the motor got a fault?

Hope someone has seen this behaviour before and can point me in the right direction.

Yep, motor knackered. Order a couple from Amazon, 3 weeks from China, but at a fraction of the price of Hornby. Direct replacements, and the more you buy, the cheaper they get! I bought a lot for loco's and Scalextric cars and it worked out at £1.05 each...tip, buy double shaft type. That way you can mount them right way round, the terminals will be where you want them and you can refit fly wheels.

2 hours ago, 33C said:

Yep, motor knackered. Order a couple from Amazon, 3 weeks from China, but at a fraction of the price of Hornby. Direct replacements, and the more you buy, the cheaper they get! I bought a lot for loco's and Scalextric cars and it worked out at £1.05 each...tip, buy double shaft type. That way you can mount them right way round, the terminals will be where you want them and you can refit fly wheels.

Could you post a link please 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Could you post a link please 

There are so many different types of motor/seller on there. I just typed in "model motor 12v double shaft" and 2, Hornby type came straight up @ £9.45. Scroll down to "you may also like" and check out the packs! (E.g. 20 dc motors for £5.99.)

• Thanks 1

I havent seen the Hornby type motors on ebay or amazon for quite awhile, I did buy a few and they were quite cheep but that was at least 2 years ago. having waded through amazons 7 pages of double shaft 12 dc motors - they dont have any of the right style.

and, this topic really needs to be moved from here

• Agree 1