Smokebox 'wings'

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

As built, many LSWR locos had 'wings' either side of the smokebox above the footplate, only those unrebuilt by Urie seem to have retained them but not all.

The K10 on the layout is numbered 30382, the only K10 to carry a BR number but in '37 it was captured by H C Casserly with smokebox 'wings' at Verwood on the SDJR.

spacer.png

But most of its contemporaries captured on film in the latter years of the Southern had lost them. 

I did look at Bradley but failed to find a reference to their removal, any comments, please?

Thank you, StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson
2 hours ago, TJ52 said:

Don't know if it's what you want but Bradley page 87 says 'commencing in May 1939 the smoke box wing plates were removed from all except nos. 138/49/53, 393/4'.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Terry,

I missed that comment. A massive forehead-slap of relief at NOT having to cut wings, fit and paint the things.

This is my K10, it certainly isn't standard.

spacer.png

I was foolishly considering selling the three elderly 4-4-0 as being oversized for the nascent layout, until the chief cook (SWBO) noticed the add on you-know-where and suggested that both Sidmouth and St.Merryn run 'those big boxey things' which translates as BLPs, why are you selling your locos? As the bottle washer, I took notice. 

Btw, did Jidenco or Albion once offer a K10?

Thank you again.

Guest Jack Benson
4 minutes ago, TJ52 said:

I don't know about any kits. I've been doing O Gauge for about the last 35 years. Sorry. 

Terry

Hi Terry and Chris, 

It was Sharp Models and I cannot find a Seaton track plan, every search throws up the blessed tramway……

Thanks

The 1936 SR rebuild did indeed only have five turnouts. There was an island platform, the eastern no.2 face of which had a run-round loop (with the single road loco shed coming off the loop at the terminal end) and a single goods siding with goods shed. The layout was very long, though.

The previous LSWR layout had six turnouts, two (much shorter) platform faces with a short run-round loop between the access tracks, again a single goods siding and a loco shed accessed by a kick-back on the eastern side.

To my mind neither would have made for interesting models.

The very final layout, after the WR take-over in the 1960s, would have been pointless.