Paint adhesion

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

I've been doing some airbrush weathering after a long gap and find I'm struggling with the paint not adhering particularly well to the model. The finish looks fine, but the paint has a tendency to lift with handling, even after leaving the model to dry overnight. As I'm using a new compressor, new paints, and new thinners, there are a few variables. The paints are tensochrom acrylics, thinned with their acrylic thinner, by about 50/50. I suspect that may be too thin? The neat stuff doesn't like my airbrush, though, even though it's supposed to be thin enough for spraying. I've generally kept the pressure on the low side - not sure if that's a factor? Could the paint be drying too quickly, before it hits the model?

In the past, using enamels, I've not generally had to bother with a varnish coat - not sure if that's required now.

It sounds to me like the paint is drying before it hits the surface, which could be a sign of over thinning. I'd try reducing the amount of thinners in the mix and spraying at a higher pressure (what pressure are you using currently BTW?).

HTH

• RMweb Gold

Martin - I normally aim for about 15 psi - how does that sound? I suspect it is the paint mix being a bit over-thinned; I'll try a 2/3 ratio of thinners to paint next time and see how I get on.

15 sounds a bit low to me, I generally use 30psi as standard. Raising the pressure should reduce the need for thinning, which should hopefully avaoid the problems you've been experiencing. Acrylics to have a tendency to dry quickly anyway.

Archived