Any Tips on Keeping the PECO Loco Lift track clean from tarnish?

BillB

Hi, I am looking to use OO loco lifts as cassettes. My experience is that the copper(?) tarnishes quite quickly, and cleaning it with a fibre-glass pen makes nasty dust. I'd be grateful for tips on how folks keep their lifts clean and conductive. Also, I only have experience of the old lifts, and the new loco lifts look a lot more enclosed and thus harder to service? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Bill.

• RMweb Gold

Bit of IPA (not the beer) on a cloth tends to keep the copper clean and any tarnishing at bay. However, not all IPA's are the same, and you need to find the 99% IPA. As an alternative, some of those pre-packed alcohol lens cleaning cloths work, but aren't exactly great for the environment.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

Without the thread descending into what’s the best method to clean track , IPA is not the best thing to clean track with. It’s best to do a search on polar non polar cleaners, look on you tube it explains the science better.

Good point, I have been meaning to try out some electrical contact cleaner for cleaning the track.....