Lima C38

Wolseley

On 03/03/2022 at 22:13, Il Grifone said:

If I lived in Australia*, I might have been interested (I do have a Lima NSWGR C38, a coach, and a wagon), but this is a bit too much, so I'll have to pass! (SWMBO would have a fit and, being Tri-ang, I suspect the scale is not H0).

This one:

And it looks like they've rehashed the coaches (I think he means 'six axle' not 'six wheel'.:

*  It could have happened. There was an opportunity in the early seventies, but we decided it was just too far away! - maybe it was a mistake as it looks like 'On the Beach' could come true! Let's hope it's just sabre missile rattling!

On 04/03/2022 at 01:21, Wolseley said:

The C38 wasn't too bad in its day, but the tender was all wrong.  Rather than a model of a C38 tender, Lima used one from an existing model of theirs - an SNCF 141R I think.

The Lima NSWGR C38 Pacific has been mentioned in this part of the forum before, as can be seen from the above posts.

Why mention it now?  Well, I just bought two of them.  I saw two come up for sale on eBay at a low starting price and put in bids on each.  One was an unlettered black one and the other a green one.  I was expecting one or both to go for more than my maximum bid, otherwise I would only have bid on one, but bidding for both stopped just a few dollars under my last bid.  I should have them in a few days, as the vendor is in Australia.  In the meantime I have to figure out what I'm going to do with two of the things.......

• Like 3

Well, I should have them this weekend.  I got a message from the vendor that he will be visiting someone in the suburb where I am on Sunday, so he'll drop them off rather than posting them.

I have been thinking that I will number the black one 3827, as that was the only 38 class I saw that did not end up being preserved although, that said, it was awaiting scrapping and not in steam when I saw it.  The green one, which is presently numbered 3830, will become 3813, for the reason that it was the only 38 class I saw in steam in revenue earning service, four months before it was withdrawn in September of 1970.

• Like 2

They arrived this morning and turned out to be in better condition than I was expecting.  Here is the green one:

3830.jpg.450a9cb46c938adebacfb616421bdf48.jpg

As for the black one, I'm afraid I separated the body and chassis before I thought of taking a photograph, but here is one showing the locomotive and tender chassis.  The driving wheels on the right have pick-ups, as do the tender wheels on the left, the tender being electrically linked to the locomotive by the drawbar.  It looks like it should be pretty straightforward to convert it to 3 rail collection.

I was surprised to see that the centre driver on these models was flanged - something I had obviously forgotten about.  It's the rear driver that is geared to the motor and it has minimal side-play.  The front driving wheels have a bit of side-play, but the centre ones have 3mm on each side.

3820.jpg.57f7f3dcab0cb70ede43349f49ab89b9.jpg

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have now finished converting 3820 to three rail, using a Marklin skate.  I fitted non-insulated wheels to the tender so that the pick-up from the outer rails is on all eight tender wheels and three of the driving wheels..  After I tried it out I noticed that it's missing its traction tyre, so that's something else for me to sort out.  In the meantime I still have 3830 to take care of.

Here's a video of 3820 on the layout, sans traction tyre.  As you can see, it has no difficulty negotiating a diamond crossing, perhaps the most troublesome piece of Dublo trackwork (my layout was originally going to have two of them but, thankfully, one was eliminated in the planning stages)

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 3

Lima wheels are quite near to Dublo standards (allowing for metric vs Imperial origins) and I have had no trouble running them. Dublo trackwork is quite forgiving (vicious radii apart, but other makes (Lima included) were worse!)

What is the problem with the diamond crossings? I have never found them troublesome.

The Tender is from their 141R. They did a version of this in U.S. guise (not 100% convincing despite its origins) but gave it the 141R tender too. It's not correct here either!

Edited by Il Grifone

• 1 year later...

3830 at work on the layout.  She can handle four Dublo tinplate LMS coaches fairly well, but struggles with the SD ones, slipping now and then.

P1010594.jpg.2f974354d397b84b48d87b621dc84d49.jpg

P1010595.jpg.cdd3e3191f5b7d14c2c7b15943915563.jpg

• Like 4