GWR Steam railmotor/diesel railcar transition

RateTheFreight

Evening all,

Were there any routes whereby you’d of feasibly seen the last days of the GWR steam rail motors coincide with the introduction of the the first batch of ‘gwr’ diesel railcars? If the dates of my basic research are correct it would have to be circa 1933-35. As an aside, would any of the rail motors have been kept as backup for any mechanical failure on the railcar front or had most been converted to auto coaches by this stage? 

It's possible a flying banana parcels unit might pass a SRM at say Slough or Southall. Stourbridge Junction is another possible 'meeting' location.

The SRMs weren't kept - they were either scrapped or converted. Only a few survived until 1935.

Edit: I couldn't find any SRM data on BRdatabase.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Thanks 1

My impression, reading RCTS, is that duties wouldn't have overlapped. The earlier bananas were geared for 60+ mph which might have been a bit of a struggle for the steam units. Lower geared branch line cars didn't appear until 1938. So while the very last steam and the first diesel units might have been seen together occasionally, at least at Swindon, it seems to me that the new didn't directly replace the old on the same services.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1