Using Basecoat Paint

spsmiler

Has anyone had any experiences with 'basecoat' paint?

I bought rattle-can car paints* and when I got them I was told that these are 'basecoat' paints and I need something else on top.

I think ordinary varnish is what was meant, and that would be great if it is so, but before varnishing I was going to add some transfers (train operator logo, rolling stock numbers, etc) ... maybe I should add one coat of varnish (it will be Halfords clear lacquer) before adding the transfers.

Another issue is that the train sides will be two colours, so I must mask the upper colour after painting so that I can paint the lower half of the carriage sides. I'll be using Tamiya masking tape and am hoping that it does not take the paint off when I remove the masking tape after painting!

*not from Halfords, alas I needed colours that they do not stock and they no longer mix colours on a bespoke basis

Any advice gratefully received

Simon

13 hours ago, spsmiler said:

Has anyone had any experiences with 'basecoat' paint?

I bought rattle-can car paints* and when I got them I was told that these are 'basecoat' paints and I need something else on top.

I think ordinary varnish is what was meant, and that would be great if it is so, but before varnishing I was going to add some transfers (train operator logo, rolling stock numbers, etc) ... maybe I should add one coat of varnish (it will be Halfords clear lacquer) before adding the transfers.

Another issue is that the train sides will be two colours, so I must mask the upper colour after painting so that I can paint the lower half of the carriage sides. I'll be using Tamiya masking tape and am hoping that it does not take the paint off when I remove the masking tape after painting!

*not from Halfords, alas I needed colours that they do not stock and they no longer mix colours on a bespoke basis

Any advice gratefully received

Simon

It will need a laquer/varnish/clear coat whatever you want to call it , when I was in the crash repair game the paint system was referred to as a basecoat and laquer 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

It will need a laquer/varnish/clear coat whatever you want to call it , when I was in the crash repair game the paint system was referred to as a basecoat and laquer 

Thanks

I was going to do that anyway, albeit not immediately

• Like 1