Tomix (Tomytec) JR EF81 H) (1/80)

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Tomix are 'the other' large Japanese model railway company. In Europe and America they're much less well known than Kato as unlike Kato they have for the most part tended to stick with Japanese prototypes. Their N gauge models are equivalent to Kato (although it has to be a model by model comparison as for some subjects one is better than the other) however in HO I tend to find Tomix a higher end product. Tomix tend to be more expensive and positioned higher in the market than Kato, but they also tend to have finer details and a nicer overall feel. Whereas Kato HO is still made in Japan, Tomix HO is made in the Republic of Korea if that is a consideration for anybody. Their models are made in two versions, standard and prestige. The models are the same however prestige come with all the add on parts factory fitted and made from wire and etchings (painted in the appropriate colour) whereas the standard models are supplied with a mountain of user fit parts in plastic. The prestige models also have the depot plates factory applied, but locomotive numbers are user fit as they come with a wide range of number options. I honestly don't know why the concept isn't more widely used, it clearly works for Tomix and Scaletrains in the US do it. The consumer has a choice, pay more for convenience and a slightly higher standard of finish thankks to the use of wire and etchings, or save money and do the work yourself of fixing all the detail parts. 

The EF81 is a 2.5MW Bo-Bo-Bo dual current mixed traffic locomotive. For me it is the quintessential Japanese electric locomotive and quite probably my favourite locomotive. In Japanese HO (1/80) the EF81 is made by Kato and Tomix as well as Tenshodo and Endo in brass. I think the Tomix is the sweet spot, it is a nicer model than the Kato alternative IMO and a lot cheaper than the beautiful but very expensive Tenshodo and Endo options. This is the Tomix prestige version, a birthday present to self. Interestingly, given the Hornby class 87, all of them have excellent sprung cross arm pantographs.

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I must admit, at some point I'd like a model of the RENFE 269 which has a very similar nose to the EF81. The RENFE 251 was a lovely model, the 251 is very reminiscent of the JNR EF66 which is a cult locomotive in Japan, Eletrotren make very nice models of both. Below is the Tomix EF66, image from the Tomix website (the late versions had a very different cab design):

image.png.586b125f989892f3ee7df9a032b6822f.png

• Like 4