BR Southern Region Layout

A.R.

Hello All, 

After a number of years without a layout, and a focus on designing and building locomotives, I finally have the opportunity to build a continuous-run layout. Housed in a shed, it is an 00 gauge layout that measures approx. 12ftx8ft so, although it's not massive, it does provide a decent size scenic section and fiddle yard. Set in the south of England in the BR Southern Region years (loosely!), it will feature a two track mainline with a mid-size country station with a small bay platform and small yard with a few sidings. 

The boards are partly open-framed and partly standard full boards, with the aim being for the station/yard to be on the level and for landscape to then drop away to take the railway on an embankment. There will also be a small narrow gauge line incorporated to serve a small quarry tucked away at one side of the layout. Although these are the key design philosophies, I am content to let the layout develop and change as I progress. 

I am currently at the stage of all the boards being built and installed and the very first track (Peco Code 75 Bullhead) having been laid (and the first board joint also complete). I have also started building some signals (that are lit and will function) and some large Scots Pines that will be crucial to the landscape! Here are some quick pictures to get you up to date:

1.jpeg.1406a1f073bd7726466364913275b977.jpeg

2.jpeg.9cd911375f5fb8aa10d365d88463b915.jpeg

3.jpeg.0cab231cf6489d5fcd53d4c7ea5f3566.jpeg4.jpeg.7f4e257208d7e685ec5ed215a04f4280.jpeg5.jpeg.6819bd35af321ca6aa48209d4cdaeade.jpeg6.jpeg.b6466282d53bb20ce2d4f67dc1851053.jpeg7.jpeg.a98cfea37dff78d684f1a555e5cb0403.jpeg

I really look forward to keeping this thread up to date with progress and hearing your thoughts, suggestions and (hopefully constructive) criticisms! 

Cheers, 

Alex

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 26/09/2022 at 12:55, AndyB said:

Hi Alex.

This looks good and I'll follow your progress with interest.

Do you have a track plan that you can share with us?

Andy

Hi, 

Thank you! I have done a quick sketch that gives an idea of the track plan although this will likely evolve. It is a very simple track layout, and plan is quite out of scale. I very much want the scenic section to be railway in a landscape - a rural location with a mainline, hence only a small yard etc. 

8.jpeg.88db63fe311fff5485ae4c186e5270fc.jpeg

Let me know what you think, only half the track is down so I can still make changes! 

Cheers, 

Alex

• Like 1

It's definitely laudable to have the railway "in" the landscape. 

One observation. The bay platform and its siding in the FY will only allow a train to shunt to and fro. If you were able to connect it to the inner loop this would add a lot to the operational interest. It wouldn't need to have a crossing to the outer loop as this could be assumed to happen off scene. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AndyB said:

It's definitely laudable to have the railway "in" the landscape. 

One observation. The bay platform and its siding in the FY will only allow a train to shunt to and fro. If you were able to connect it to the inner loop this would add a lot to the operational interest. It wouldn't need to have a crossing to the outer loop as this could be assumed to happen off scene. 

Very good point, I had half intended to do that and forgot to draw it on. I will be running the bay platform as an auto shuttle whilst I control the yard and mainlines but it would definitely be beneficial to have it all connected up! The drawing doesn't show it very well, but the bottom right corner is quite a tight fit becuase of how the boards fit in the shed but will definitely see what I can work in!

Cheers, 

Alex

As its a Southern region layout I'd guess the autotrain would be handled by an M7 with 2 coaches. It would likely arrive on the inner (counterclockwise) mainline platform then shunt back and into the bay - which is your departure platform. 

Others may correct me but trains wouldn't arrive on the bay platform to avoid the potential for them to overrun and crash into the station building.