LNWR Webb 0-4-0ST in LYR ownership

MarcD

At Scalefourum, I picked up a London Road Models LNWR Webb 0-4-0ST kit from the bring and buy stand. I was under the impression that the LYR had 5 and I thought it would go nicely with my pug. However, when I have come to look at the instruction and online I can't seam to find any evidence of the LYR having any. Can anyone how is wise in these matters point me in the right direction? If they didn't have any it's still a nice loco.

Marc

32 minutes ago, MarcD said:

At Scalefourum, I picked up a London Road Models LNWR Webb 0-4-0ST kit from the bring and buy stand. I was under the impression that the LYR had 5 and I thought it would go nicely with my pug. However, when I have come to look at the instruction and online I can't seam to find any evidence of the LYR having any. Can anyone how is wise in these matters point me in the right direction? If they didn't have any it's still a nice loco.

Marc

Is this any help?

"Standard Crewe products

0-6-0: DX class

86 of this standard Crewe class were built at Crewe Works for the LYR between 1871-4: the later ones incorporated Webb improvements including cabs. According to Marshall (3 p. 79) they became one of the principal passenger types on the LYR and even worked the Manchester to Bradford market train. The majority were withdrawn in the 1890s although one lasted until 1904.

0-4-0ST

This inside-cylinder 0-4-0ST was a typical Crewe product: five were acquired but all were withdrawn by the end of March 1902. Nos. 410 and 411 were rebuilt as 0-6-0STs"

https://www.steamindex.com/locotype/lyr.htm

"0-4-0ST: 1863-
14in x 20in cylinders; 4ft coupled wheels; lever reverse; first to employ cast iron wheels with H-section spokes (eventually associated with 0-8-0 classes). 36 delivered between 1863 and 1870. Webb built ten in 1872 and seven in 1892. Talbot (An illustrated history of LNWR engines)  devotes a whole chapter (4) to this type and the closely associated 0-4-2ST. Plate 126 reproduces an official photograph of No. 1437 taken in August 1865; Plate 127 shows a Ramsbottom locomotive built for the L&YR in March 1872 (this was one of five) and Figure 38 shows No. 835 as built. See also Webb locomotives."

https://www.steamindex.com/locotype/lnwr2.htm#ramsbottom0-4-0st

If I am reading this correctly: the five LNWR 0-4-0STs built for the L&YR were designed by Ramsbottom in 1872?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2022 at 22:54, Paul H Vigor said:

If I am reading this correctly: the five LNWR 0-4-0STs built for the L&YR were designed by Ramsbottom in 1872?

Designed under Ramsbottom's superintendency, first appearing in December 1863, with 26 built up to August 1865, then a further 10 in June/July 1870. Then under Webb, 10 more were built in April 1872 and a final 10 in November 1892. [B. Baxter and D. Baxter, British Locomotive Catalogue 1825 – 1923 Vols. 2A & 2B.] So the five built for the Lancashire & Yorkshire were contemporary with, and presumably started life looking the same as, the first Webb batch.

• Informative/Useful 1