Zimo MS decoders & sound

Solo

• RMweb Premium

I've had a few of the new MS decoders with various sound files on them from three different sources and the funny thing is that all bar one have a rather peculiar attribute.  When you accelerate a loco, not only do the revs increase but the actual volume of the sound gets markedly louder, then drops right back as soon as you back off on the throttle.  As if the loco is getting closer and closer to you and then receding into the distance but all the while simply trundling along a small diorama - the effect is of the sound constantly surging and then receding.  Now I've had a play with the Zimo list of CVs (particularly numbers 387-389 which seem to be associated with sound vs acceleration) but so far to no real avail.  Never had this with the older MX decoders and was wondering if anyone else running Zimos has noticed and is it a known issue?

12 hours ago, Solo said:

I've had a few of the new MS decoders with various sound files on them from three different sources and the funny thing is that all bar one have a rather peculiar attribute.  When you accelerate a loco, not only do the revs increase but the actual volume of the sound gets markedly louder, then drops right back as soon as you back off on the throttle.  As if the loco is getting closer and closer to you and then receding into the distance but all the while simply trundling along a small diorama - the effect is of the sound constantly surging and then receding.  Now I've had a play with the Zimo list of CVs (particularly numbers 387-389 which seem to be associated with sound vs acceleration) but so far to no real avail.  Never had this with the older MX decoders and was wondering if anyone else running Zimos has noticed and is it a known issue?

I've been involved with the development of ZIMO's MS decoders for several years. I've not experienced the issue you report whilst using the default CV settings. It would, however, be simple to set up such behaviour on both MX and MS decoders if you had a reason to do so. CVs 275 to 286 are used to contol volume levels during various states (acceleration/coasting/load influence etc..). It's important that these are set up correctly for the use to which the decoder is put.

It would help diagnosis if you tell us what the sound projects are, from where sourced and which one does not exhibit the issue you raised. Your reference to CVs 387 et seq suggests these are diesel projects, but other factors may be in play if they are steam locos.

CVs 387-389 may also have an impact for diesels, but only if a number of other CVs are active*, and dependent upon what values they contain.

*If not, changes in these values will have no impact.

Best regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply - CVs 283/284 did feature in my experiments but since that whole section in entitled "Steam Locomotive - load acceleration and dependency" - and these are indeed diesels that I have - I didn't delve too far.  One of the issues is that that the translation into English on Zimo's website of what the CVs do has not gone too well, making it hard to see what they're getting at.  I've been playing across the scales recently (although an upcoming move means I'm going to have to nail one down!) the most obvious examples of where this happens are a Digitrains 'O' gauge class 08 (which otherwise is a really nice sound file) and an 'N' gauge Farish DMU (108) which is equipped with YouChoos' latest DMU project.  I have another of these DMUs with the equivalent Digitrains project and although on an 'MS' the sound 'dimming' and surging is still tangible it is much less so.  The one sound project - my favourite  - where this does not happen no matter on 'MX' or 'MS' is the Digitrains 'N' gauge class 31 (for the most recent Farish release for Next 18), this is entirely consistent with no problems whatsoever and I find needs no adjustment.

A Bachmann '03' (Next 18, Digitrains sound) with MS decoder - which no longer lives with me - as I remember also did not have any of these issues.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

I've been involved with the development of ZIMO's MS decoders for several years. I've not experienced the issue you report whilst using the default CV settings. It would, however, be simple to set up such behaviour on both MX and MS decoders if you had a reason to do so. CVs 275 to 286 are used to contol volume levels during various states (acceleration/coasting/load influence etc..). It's important that these are set up correctly for the use to which the decoder is put.

Do these CVs apply equally to diesel behaviour in that case....and could the decoder interface be playing a role, I wonder - since the Next18 MS decoder seems to be the one where is all as you would expect.

Many thanks

Andy