Car Boot Black 5 bargain.

cypherman

Hi all,

Went to a car boot sale this morning. Not something I usually do, But my wife wanted to go. So SWMBO led the way..... :). Turned out to quite lucky for me. On one of the stalls there was a 1973 Boxed Hornby Black 5. Plus a couple of other railway items. Anyway, the black 5 looks like it has hardly been run. The wheels are spotless. To my mind, it is in mint condition. It still has its paperwork, nameplates and the vacuum pipes. The box is in very good condition. There was also a mainline GWR toad brake van that looks like it has never been out of the box. So again looks in mint condition. What did I pay for this little haul of gems? Just £35.00 for them both. The engine is from Nov 1973.

DSC_1324.JPG

DSC_1325.JPG

DSC_1331.JPG

DSC_1332.JPG

DSC_1333.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

DSC_1328.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

On 02/10/2022 at 14:10, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Went to a car boot sale this morning. Not something I usually do, But my wife wanted to go. So SWMBO led the way..... :). Turned out to quite lucky for me. On one of the stalls there was a 1973 Boxed Hornby Black 5. Plus a couple of other railway items. Anyway, the black 5 looks like it has hardly been run. The wheels are spotless. To my mind, it is in mint condition. It still has its paperwork, nameplates and the vacuum pipes. The box is in very good condition. There was also a mainline GWR toad brake van that looks like it has never been out of the box. So again looks in mint condition. What did I pay for this little haul of gems? Just £35.00 for them both. The engine is from Nov 1973.

DSC_1324.JPG

DSC_1325.JPG

DSC_1331.JPG

DSC_1332.JPG

DSC_1333.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

DSC_1328.JPG

That's why we go...treasure hunting...result! Myself, I picked up a GBLC S.E.C.R., C Class, 0-6-0, 1 rod missing, for a £1 today and she's already in bits.......

Edited by 33C
Details added
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2022 at 14:10, cypherman said:

Hi all,

DSC_1324.JPG

DSC_1325.JPG

DSC_1331.JPG

DSC_1332.JPG

DSC_1333.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

DSC_1328.JPG

Great find. The leaflet has actually come from a Silver Seal BR 7MT Oliver Cromwell locomotive which was catalogue number R552 (the stamped numbers were Catalogue number - batch date - year so that leaflet is from a Cromwell batch packed on 29 November 1973). I've got quite a stash of leaflets as I like to try and pair them with the 'right' locos.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 23:21, andyman7 said:

Great find. The leaflet has actually come from a Silver Seal BR 7MT Oliver Cromwell locomotive which was catalogue number R552 (the stamped numbers were Catalogue number - batch date - year so that leaflet is from a Cromwell batch packed on 29 November 1973). I've got quite a stash of leaflets as I like to try and pair them with the 'right' locos.

Hi Andyman7,

If you are right, that must mean that there is an Oliver Cromwell somewhere with my paperwork in its box....... :)