Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Vectron - Roco v LS Models

Nigel Emery

A couple of comparison photos between the Roco and LS Models Vectron. It’s a close run thing but for me in terms of looks / details I prefer the LS Models version for the following reasons:

Look of the front lights (the lights in the LS are recessed further back giving that distinctive tube look)

Pans look better with no visible spring

More detail in the roof garden with separate parts on the LS version that are moulded on the Roco loco.

Detailed parts are pre fitted ( I’m hopeless at fitting small detail parts)

Etched front steps

I don’t have plans to fit decoders and run either at the current time so can’t comment on the running / driving characteristics.

95C78DDD-AB00-4BEC-AAAD-D262E9C13BC6.jpeg

B40DEFDF-7E6C-4F01-9FCA-AF4B1FD79332.jpeg

121D2D42-9743-4A67-B179-52121BFB0C0B.jpeg

9B4B6E6A-9DF6-4379-9C5A-FADE3564ADFA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hi Nigel.

I share your view's in all respects however the one area which is the most important to me is running qualities and spare parts availability which in my view the Roco version wins hands down. I need high mileage from my loco's so traction tyres must be readily available something LS would struggle with. LS make beautiful models as do Jagerndorfer but put them on a exhibition layout and it's not long before bits start to disappear through handling. There is also a price premium with LS which given the finer detail is totally understanderble. As always you pays your money and takes your choice.

You have the best of both worlds there and I'm sure you enjoy both in there own way.

Craig.

Wolfstatt   

• Like 3

Hi Craig

No arguments from me on the handling, running, price point issues. On the specific point of traction tyres I’ve never had a problem getting something from a different manufacturer (usually Roco) to fit and work. Could you survive without traction tyres? They were never popular with US modellers and have now virtually disappeared on UK locos but are still common from the continental (excuse the phrase, you know what I mean) companies. I can only assume they are useful in situations such as steep helixes with tight rads.

Unfortunately my low immune system, high covid risk means attending expos is still difficult but I hope to see Wolfstatt in a completed state one day soon! 

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, I was thinking of doing the same between Roco and Pikos Vectron..

AA20B858-0CDE-4AC6-8059-643976623E5B.jpeg.9d8916bb257d1e6bdfa1ae442c464f52.jpeg

I can’t pick between them, the only negatives on Roco is the parts bag needs to be attached, where as Piko is all attached, and Roco is more expensive.

But more over, how is it European Manufacturers have no issues with livery interpretation.. the shades are identical. Looking at your SBB examples, they look pretty on too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I normally model DE Epoche II, but having just purchased a SUDExpress Eurodual (on an impulse), I'm looking to expand into Epoch VI and rather fancy a Vectron or too. I like Piko as a company and am pre-disposed towards choosing several of their models - that said I have read that on the Piko Vectrons the hand rails at each side of the drivers doors are not in fact separate pieces but rather part of the body shell moulding. Could someone clarify for me - moulded hand rails would be a show-stopper for me.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Edited by Sauropod
auto type error - grrr

Interesting comparisons. I have only caught up with this topic a bit late, but appreciate it.

i have a few Vectrons here but haven't done any direst comparisons, yet. I'll have to dig them all out and have a go. What I can say is that all of them run very nicely, with very little to choose between them.

The Trix one has a metal body, and from memory the detail is a little cruder than the others, but it is still a good model. I also have Vectrons from Roco and Piko.

I can't really do a livery comparison as no two of mine are in the same livery, or even from the same railway company.

The Piko Vectrons (x 2) are a Danish DSB EB class and an MGW private operator dark blue livery.

From Roco, I have a Vectron in FlixTrain green livery.

And the Trix one is a Swiss one in BLS Die Alpinisten livery.

The Danish Piko has sound from Hobbykaeden, and Trix one has their factory-fitted sound as well, although the Trix one has fewer functions on offer.

IMG20210406112031.jpg.a7519827a5ef8124f0f4dd1e432f665c.jpg

IMG20210406112122.jpg.1cf03ecf9070d5f21bbec0159f926d63.jpg

IMG20210406111945.jpg.8fbc86f0410359ce007514616ed86b24.jpg

IMG20210426111459.jpg.6aa8e12b04ceb0ee1594b75a0ef2c79d.jpg

P_20200627_161808_vHDR_Auto.jpg.81aae53cc5513efea27e6348d7a06455.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/10/2022 at 04:29, MichaelE said:

They should be spot on if they are using RAL colours. 

I too have used Roco tires on both PIKO and TRIX locomotives with no trouble.

On 05/02/2024 at 23:38, Sauropod said:

I normally model DE Epoche II, but having just purchased a SUDExpress Eurodual (on an impulse), I'm looking to expand into Epoch VI and rather fancy a Vectron or too. I like Piko as a company and am pre-disposed towards choosing several of their models - that said I have read that on the Piko Vectrons the hand rails at each side of the drivers doors are not in fact separate pieces but rather part of the body shell moulding. Could someone clarify for me - moulded hand rails would be a show-stopper for me.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Hi Neil. I have a MRCE Vectron from Piko's Expert range and can confirm cab side door handles are moulded on.

Craig.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, duff man said:

Hi Neil. I have a MRCE Vectron from Piko's Expert range and can confirm cab side door handles are moulded on.

Craig.

Checking the photos in my post, I agree. I hadn't really noticed that before.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 18:21, duff man said:

Craig.

Hi Craig,

That is a real disappointment. I think of Piko as the model railway equivalent of Samsung - they started out as a budget brand but transformed rapidly towards the higher end of the market. I have seen reviews of other Piko e-loks and they seem to have separately fitted hand rails.

I shall look at Roco and L.S. Models Vectrons.

Cheers,

Neil

Edited by Sauropod

13 minutes ago, Sauropod said:

Hi Craig,

That is a real disappointment. I think of Pike as the model railway equivalent of Samsung - they started out as a budget brand but transformed rapidly towards the higher end of the market. I have seen reviews of other Piko e-loks and they seem to have separately fitted hand rails.

I shall look at Roco and L.S. Models Vectrons.

Cheers,

Neil

Neil don't be to disapointed, they are excellent models which perform well. See my earlier comments on this thread for my full views.

craig

• Like 1
  • Agree 1