RMweb

Crane type and positioning ?

My layout is fictional, a Good's Yard , Town size, late 50's early 60's, Trying only to use elements that would have been seen around Crewe's general area.

I just want to add some cranes to the Hardstanding area and uncovered platform. Which type would suit, go with theme and where to fix them?

52403443811_ae33da13f2_c.jpg

I do have an 'Iron Fairy' on the way for mobile crane.

12 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

You could go for a road crane instead of a fixed crane. That would be more flexible in operation.

Gordon A

I do have a 'Iron Fairy on the way (could be here today)

I was looking at a gantry crane at first but too big for town setting, perhaps a beam crane and 2 - 3 yard cranes.

I just can't find what a depot this size would have.

The Iron Fairy Crane I have sent for wont be used it's 1970's a Iron Fairy 6 would work but can't see any at 1:76.

Arch Laser do a  Ransome & Rapier 6 ton Petrol/Electric Yard Crane. Also Langley Models Ransoms Rapier 6 ton Mobile Crane & Fordson Chaseside 1ton Crane . But silly price's.

Any other options? 

2 hours ago, Gordon A said:

You could go for a road crane instead of a fixed crane. That would be more flexible in operation.

Gordon A

'Oxford' did a nice model of a Shelvoke and Drewery 'Freight-lifter' which could be used as either a fork-lift or  crane. From their catalogue, it looks as though it might still be available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

'Oxford' did a nice model of a Shelvoke and Drewery 'Freight-lifter' which could be used as either a fork-lift or  crane. From their catalogue, it looks as though it might still be available.

One ordered.

• Round of applause 1