Nifkin's Bridge Part Deux - The Lengthening!

• RMweb Gold

The 2 part etch primer that I have been waiting for came yesterday and has been applied to the screen assemblies. With the first batch of Shawplan screens, I used aerosol car etch primer and it did a good job of filling a lot of the detail which is a shame. Coupled with the boggo electrical solder used on the first set being replaced with proper solder paste and flux, I have a much finer looking assembly now.

Next job is to stick them in with some flexible cyano glue which I ordered today and fill around them carefully. Here's one just plonked into place at the moment but the gap underneath will be less when they're stuck in place. I may use several applications of thinned black acrylic paint to fill what remains of the join over the bonnet.

Several 40s will follow using the same approach.

image.png.98d42fafc9ddaca66656e3dc9a91a343.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Next on the agends is backdating the tail lights. I am using short lengths of 1.5mm outside diameter copper tube which can be cut into short lengths easily by rolling the length of tube under a craft knife blade. I have 0.75mm fibre optic and 1mm diameter acrylic rod on its way for the lens - inside diameter is supposedly 1mm.

image.png.5de163a3a77311ad2ae14404a6b170c8.png

In addition, I plucked up sufficient courage last night to cut some small grooves in place where the outside of the screen etch will be bonded to the bonnet to aid with seating the etches and get around the small difference in curvature. I really want to minimise the amount of filling and sanding so I can patch paint rather than doing a full respray. The IC dark grey is a touch darker than the RailMatch shade, but adding a little black gets it damn close.

image.png.27770a7419d613aea4eb39107bcffddd.png

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'm not normally a fan of depot layouts, I find they can be too alike, especially in terms of stock, but your layout is by far the best depot I've seen.

The individuality of the stock is what stands out for me, keep it up!!!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, NBL said:

I'm not normally a fan of depot layouts, I find they can be too alike, especially in terms of stock, but your layout is by far the best depot I've seen.

The individuality of the stock is what stands out for me, keep it up!!!

Thank you, glad you like it. The layout in its current form serves as a backdrop for the locos but it will eventually form part of a much larger layout when time allows. It will help keep me entertained during retirement as new sections get added, that is for sure!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Great picture, great line up, I am particularly interested in the teaser on the right, namely 24137. Do you have more pics of it? Hope so, 

Cheers, TT100 Diesels

It’s one of the latest Bachmann models. I’m after at least one of each different type of Rat. Here’s another pic from one of the times I blurred the timeline a little…

852B2001-2671-429F-BA8B-C92DE2CB2BDF.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

This weekend, the screens were stuck in using flexible cyanoacrylate adhesive and a little spray activator. I also used the glue applied with a pointy object (cocktail stick in this case) to fill around the edge of the glued etch assembly. A small flat file, 320 grit wet and dry then 800 grit was then used to smooth into shape. preserving the gutter rail around the corner windscreen pillars. It's pictured here after touching up with a brush and a small amount of etch primer to deal with any exposed metal and to help spot any imperfections. The lower edge of the screens has had thinned black acrylic applied with a small pointy brush and been allowed to flow into the gap - 3 applications so far.

The next job is to let the primer dry, sand and then a final touch up/sand before respraying the dark grey, black bonnets and window surrounds and the yellow ends (with cowhorn lamp brackets applied).

image.png.5c46de67a6f93dd309c1dd2ddf4ba1c7.png

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The paint job's done. The tail lamp inserts are being painted before fitting along with some of the details I removed when I started.

image.png.f5ff6cb6e2659af71b60a1704811258f.png

The bogies are the cast ones, but it appears this loco had fabricated bogies in this time period, so anybody fancy a swap?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

21 minutes ago, 97406 said:

The paint job's done. The tail lamp inserts are being painted before fitting along with some of the details I removed when I started.

image.png.f5ff6cb6e2659af71b60a1704811258f.png

The bogies are the cast ones, but it appears this loco had fabricated bogies in this time period, so anybody fancy a swap?

Great work - windscreens look great.

If they fit on the Bachmann model I’d be tempted to do you a swap as I’d like to do ‘419 in EWS!

Kind regards,

Will

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Great work - windscreens look great.

If they fit on the Bachmann model I’d be tempted to do you a swap as I’d like to do ‘419 in EWS!

Kind regards,

Will

Nice one. I’ve got 3 40s to do next so will be doing the screens in the same way. I don’t suppose there’s much difference in the bogie mountings or the drive, but I wouldn’t be surprised is the heights differ. I will try it out with one of my Bachmann ones if I don’t get a swap from another Accurascale model.

• RMweb Gold

That's the transfers done - Railtec for the numbers, blue stars and electrification flashes and HMRS pressfix orange lining. I'll leave it a couple of days for the paint and varnish to cure fully, followed by reassembly and weathering.

image.png.bd1502618d9edf49b85997ff23fa2661.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

That's the transfers done - Railtec for the numbers, blue stars and electrification flashes and HMRS pressfix orange lining. I'll leave it a couple of days for the paint and varnish to cure fully, followed by reassembly and weathering.

image.png.bd1502618d9edf49b85997ff23fa2661.png

Wow , it looks superb. Is that the old VI Trains lamp irons you’ve used ?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, meanach said:

Wow , it looks superb. Is that the old VI Trains lamp irons you’ve used ?

Thanks. It is coming on well, but I’ve taken my time with it as I’ve been developing how I do the screens amongst other areas.  The lamp irons are Shawplan.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Great work that Tim - the windscreens looked infinitely better; superb job!

Kind regards,

Will

Thank you squire. The benchmark for 37 and 40 screens is the Shawplan etch, and comparing it to the A/S and Bachmann screens shows small differences in both. Next on the agenda is three new Bachy Class 40s with a disc, a split and a central headcode example to follow.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I managed to swap the bogie frames, so here it is done and dusted. The frames just pull off tapered mountings on to the bogie itself. Watch out for the wire crossmembers at either end. Relocate them and apply a small dab of superglue with a small pointy object to hold them in place. They’re quite elegantly designed.

image.png.da8a4ff885bb91bb94eaf8ecad38284b.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The first job for the new Class 40s is to get the lifting eyes done. 8 per loco, made out of 2.5mm channel and a strengthener of 2mm plasticard at the back. They will receive a coat of plastic primer when the Liquid Poly has evapourated fully.

image.png.ab3d605bb2590c34a79fb8df2a6f83e6.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The first of the 3 new 40s to be worked on is the new Bachmann 40063, a Scottish rebuilt front end example with the square headcode box corners. I remember seeing it at Bescot in 84 (I think) after it had been withdrawn but looking in good nick.

The first job was to lower it. It's a straightforward enough job to do. First, remove the bogies then you can take the 2 screws out holding the top of the bogie towers and then grind down the lower edge of the top pieces by 0.8mm. I'll post some pictures of it when I do the next one. Anyhow, here it is ready for the underframe bits and pieces to be added.

image.png.b9be4e5025ee1fc0f437636308e9121f.png

• Like 6