Nifkin's Bridge Part Deux - The Lengthening!

• RMweb Gold

Those of you who have been following my Nifkin's Bridge thread in the 'Box Files, Micro Layouts and Dioramas' sub forum (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/164738-nifkins-bridge-tmd/) will know about my intention to extend the layout.

With over 60 items of rolling stock, there was fast becoming too little room to display and run a reasonable selection at any one time. Hence a plan was hatched to add another similarly-sized section off one end, and for this to be the first of a number of additional sections, hopefully culminating in a roundy in the spare bedroom. This phase will give rise to a scenic section a little over 10' long and a 33" long fiddle yard. The layout is 14" deep.

The new baseboard is complete and a traverser fiddle yard about to be made, so a new thread has been created to chart the construction of the new segments and post lots of pictures as I go along.  The track plan is more-or-less established too, so here we go. Enjoy!

Here's the original end of the layout

DSCF0550.JPG.af75f8959d5289d7fbb4df18e4a66917.JPG

And here's the extension ready to go

DSCF0568.JPG.a48967ca28ed4f12a2b1ece1cd01c6c7.JPG

DSCF0569.JPG

Best wishes,

Tim

Edited by 97406
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The shape of things to come. Before you all get too excited, it's just the green parts that I will be working on next, but the grand design is for the layout to fill the room with a double track (at least) running line. Modules will be added as time progresses.

NBMaster2.jpg.e6cc5c652ecfc18b0a3795f49efcc2c1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The first job to do is to get the existing layout set up and working in its new home. The perspex dust cover is mainly to exclude incursions from giant cats which may interfere with the OHLE. I'm getting them used to the door to the room being shut!

NB2-071022.JPG.a3a893790fb676de0133625da3f6586e.JPG

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The points have arrived, and the backscene print too. It's the same image used on the original layout's backscene, but I printed the original version on A4 sheets and had to hide the joins with poplar trees. Most of the image will be hidden behind the top of the cutting behind the layout. I have bought 2 prints, the second one being the same image but reversed, so I should be able to join them together seamlessly near the fiddle yard end of the layout.

I am pondering a scenic 'lid' over the fiddle yard.

DSCF0580.JPG.66dd31dc693fe473788ff36a48bfd7f6.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The new backscene has been test fitted. In a way it's a shame that the foreground is behind the scenery, but it serves to give the impression of distance. I have some Deluxe Materials View Glue on the way to stick it in place permanently. I have made a curve in the corner to help hide it.

DSCF0582.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The backscene has been completed at the old layout module end. I've made a couple of improvements from the old layout. Tracklaying on the extension and the transfer of the control gear across to the new location next.

DSCF0592.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I have a runnable layout in its new location. The drawers are the old layout base with the tops chopped off and I'm waiting for some track aligners on the way to go over the baseboard joins. The track and catenary under the bridge have been removed in readiness to link to the new extension.

New Layout Pan.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Whilst rummaging around my stock of modelling card, I found a printout of details for the shed. Roller shutter doors and some warning hatches got added. And then some locomotives! Which was nice.

DSCF0610.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The track is laid...

DSCF0616.JPG.839fe1bfbb9559e35f2477490200e37b.JPG

One of the reasons for the track plan is to be able to support lineups like the one below. Most if not all lines will be electrified. Now to wire it up.DSCF0617.JPG.a1a8d1addf658df24f0250fb53fa8aa7.JPGDSCF0612.JPG.c7059ba12a0eeb748a21dd4ad2610639.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I've started to think about the scenery. The bridge is likely to move, so a new piece of cutting has been made out of card and other bits of card are being used to get a feeling for the retaining walls on the new section.

DSCF0625.JPG

DSCF0624.JPG

DSCF0623.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Now is the time to work out the lie of the land so that it works with the narrow space. The beginnings of the higher ground to the back are being established and the pieces of card will form the basis of the scenery. It will be a retaining wall, possibly with some cutting earthworks action!

DSCF0626.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 97406 said:

There is something very satisftyng about building scenery from card.

DSCF0635.JPG

I agree I like to build my scenery by using cardboard, it's a go to material for modellers. 

Your scenery section is progressing nicely.👍

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

I agree I like to build my scenery by using cardboard, it's a go to material for modellers. 

Your scenery section is progressing nicely.👍

It’s the best way I’ve found. Much less messy than some of the alternatives.

• Agree 1