Falcon Brassworks LMS Brake Van D1659

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

I am currently building a Falcon Brassworks LMS 20t Brake van d1659. It did not come with any instructions and am looking for help with the underframe. 

On the etch there is a part which fits underneath between the axles. Looking at pics online i can see it protrudes down and below the van floor and runs parallel to the solebars. However, i am wondering what it connects to?? Does anyone have a pic showing the layout of the connecting bars? 

In the photo below, you can see it clearly the assembly just not what it connects to as the bars dissappear over the axles.

Thanks

Ian

image.png.cec671b2e73640d185fcf32907c2505e.png

• Like 1

I believe it's the brake operating rods - the vertical part going up into the cabin where the brake wheel/handle is located. 

However, how they actually interface with the brakes, I have no idea, as I only model what I can see, so mine are a fudge!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just found this pic that shows the linkage over the axle. Shame it doesnt show the rest but like you said, you cant see it so i wont replicate it. At least i know the rough idea.

Link to webpage:

http://valeofberkeleyrailway.co.uk/projects/wagon-projects/lms-brakevan-732195/

image.png.035181743b940ea291c0c1211357d404.png

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My trio of Falcon Brassworks wagon kits.

1. LMS 20T Brake Van d1659. Kit was easy to put together despite lack of instructions. Overall i'm happy with it except for the buffers which are a little over scale (all i had in stock).

2. LMS 12T open single plank wagon d1986. This came in a pack label "etch only". Upon opening it i realised it didnt have an underframe, but did include etches for a 3 plank wagon body. Scratchbuilt solebars and brakes and a pair of MJT w-irons. Kit did come with springs and axle boxes though. Buffers and hooks from Lanarkshire models. 

3. This was the bonus kit. A bit of research and i decided that it was a 12T medium goods wagon steel underframe d1927. Again, scratchbuilt underframe and brakes using Masokits sprung w-irons and some springs/axle boxes from Comet which i had as spares. Bit of a heinz 57 but it works. Again buffers and hooks from Lanarkshire. Both kits came with nice detailing parts such as the re-inforcing straps, brackets etc.

Off to the paint shop for etch priming now (shed)

Ian

20221011_085135.jpg

20221011_085116.jpg

20221011_085101.jpg

• Like 9