Signal placment on my little layout?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of GWR sempahore signals would be able to tell me what signals I need, and where exactly to place them on my little double oval layout please?

Obviously its not a model of a real railway, so im really struggling to know what would be appropriate here.

I only really want signals along the Front of the layout, especially around the signal box area on the right, and also around the as of yet unfinished platform area (and possibly the fan of sidings in the middle).

Would something like the Dapol "GWR Junction RH 2 Arms" sku be suitable for just before or after the signal box?

Any input much appreciated!

1318841418_MATT_LAYOUTmk6.jpg.6608f148bca88930ab6951c5083119b3.jpg

Edited by MikuMatt81

• RMweb Premium

Well, the crossover you've circled should be the other way round, that is "trailing" instead of facing - so a train running in the correct direction (clockwise on the outer circuit) has to stop and reverse over it.  This is a basic safety issue - the equivalent crossover in the bottom left hand corner is correct in this respect.  The best place to put the signal you've shown would then be opposite the signal box, controlling the junction between the straight-on main line and the branch to what I assume is fiddle yard of sorts.  The gantry should be the other way round, so the shorter signal arm leads to the branch.  

Then, if I'm reading your mind correctly as to what the station looks like, I think you would need 4 single starter (home) signals, one at each end of the lowest (branch) road and one at the relevant ends of each of the main line through roads.  I think everything else would be done using discs, but my knowledge runs out at this point - many greater minds will no doubt advise, I've only dared to answer because no-one else has so far!

Best of luck!

• Like 1