Trams in TTm

rekoboy

This contribution was inspired by the question on Sommerfeldt catenary! Some of you may have seen my contributions in the German Railways section of this website - a German TT (1:120) layout 'Kirchheim' which pictures E Germany in the 1970s. As an adjunct to the layout I started to experiment with the idea of a TTm (N gauge, metre gauge in reality) tram route which would represent former and existing (E) German trams and interurbans. For quite a while the tram project has dominated my thinking and modelling - thanks to Shapeways and the marvellous Japanese online model shop, Plaza Japan. Everything started when I bought a non-runner (or bad runner!) TTm 9mm gauge tram and trailer by the firm of Karsei from a German friend. On the German tt-board website there is quite a bit on TTm trams - and on the use of Tomytec and Kato Japanese chassis to power them. The first project was the rebuilding of the Karsei motor-car with a Kato chassis with flywheel and coreless motor with the help of poly sheet and sections. Wow! Success! By this time I had discovered the Plaza Japan site and bought further chassis, including a tiny Bo-Bo chassis with both bogies motorized. Shapeways provided me with a Dresden tramcar and the body for the Bo-Bo chassis - and main layout got ignored for months as I worked on the tram fleet. By chance I discovered that the dropside bodies from the German 1:120 scale lorry kits by SES were a perfect fit for the Peco N scale goods wagon chassis and 'cut and shut' for longer Farish chassis. Suddenly I was adding rolling stock for the tramways maintenance department. Then, to my disappointment I discovered that the Bo-Bo loco, in spite of additional weight, was too weedy to pull more than two of my works dept wagons - but help was at hand when I motorized a home-built goods van with a Japanese chassis! I was unable to find any suitable OHL masts or catenary for my trams so I, too, am soldering up masts. More of that later. In the meantime a few photos.

Zwei Fahrwerke.jpg

Lockwitztal.jpg

Zwei Schwestern 2.jpg

Westentasche-Krokodil.jpg

Westentasche-Krokodil Fahrmotoren.jpg

Westentasche-Krok mit Loren.jpg

Loreningredienzen.jpg

Lore 3 komplett.jpg

TM TR02 plus Peco usw.jpg

Geisterwagen Testfahrt mit Kroko.jpg

Geisterwagen lackiert.jpg

Fahrleitungsmasten 1.jpg

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I was in Liepaja, Latvia recently, there is a metre gauge tramline, now with modern articulated trams but the depot is full of old Tatra trams.

There is a lot of scope for TT-m tram modelling.

Dava

056B02C9-E3AB-4473-AA7B-D6EED50EAEC7.jpeg

• Like 6

Here's a view of the tram depot on my layout - sorry for the odd camera angle! After months of fiddling around with the track layout I have at last decided on a final version. The track and points are Minitrix set-track - most of the track will be in  cobbles or heavily ballasted, so the appearance is of relatively little importance. The whole depot section is a removable module so most of the work will be done at my desk, rather than leaning over the layout! The tram shed is scratch-built using poly sheet and sections and Auhagen roof tiles and windows. The second photo shows virtually the whole tram route to the terminus in Konradsweiler - behind the camera the tram route turns sharply and enters a reverse loop.

Depot1.jpg.8f553eb0753faa989e484ed2de3fcf15.jpg

667294120_FastdieganzeStrecke.jpg.e17bfbb519d23536b39f1253cd5d8495.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It was takEn from my Liva hotel window with an iPad and the sharpness is not great. A slightly better mobile phone  view is below. I also have some  daylight views of the system including the tram depot and old Tatra trams. I’ll upload these when I have time. 

Dava

6564CFEC-A616-48D6-ACCC-8837489793BC.jpeg.78a684689bbcb6433de36d7ec2b6ffb8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What fills up my time at present....making OL masts for the trams from brass tube and brass wire. I made up a 'soldering assistant' with saw cuts on a piece of floor board - it works very well! There are single masts and double masts - but before I finally commit myself and add them to the layout I am going build a small working diorama to test my theories!

OL Masts Okt2022.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

The next loco is almost finished - modified Kato chassis, Shapeways body plus elderly E German pantograph, and steps, airtanks etc from the bits box. Still some way to go. She runs beautifully and will eventually be hauling a TT standard gauge wagon or two on transporter trucks.IMG_20230425_135820_230.jpg.d7355a42d8567f7a6809a97768251fbe.jpg

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Not only is the tram terminus almost finished - almost - the tramway and interurban company has at last taken delivery of two small electric locos. Parts supplied by Shapeways, Tomytec, the former E German company HERR (Pantos) and the owner's junk box.

IMG_20231017_113123_154.jpg.399b3fc826fe4a9b566aa3972665c936.jpg

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 2