TT finer scale track

Solo

• RMweb Premium

Being excited by the latest announcement from Hornby and others I think I’ll certainly be dipping a toe into these waters but was wondering if any finer scale British-outline track parts were available in this scale?  The track announced by both Hornby and Peco is rather crude in appearance, I’m happy to spend time hand-building something more authentic but where would one go for, say, bullhead rail, sleepers or turnout kits?

• RMweb Premium

Actually by way of answering my own question I’ve just discovered Tillig’s range of 12mm flexitrack and pointwork.  Whilst obviously continental I wonder if in this scale it wouldn’t be too obvious as it looks like very nice stuff.

Yes, me too! I am currently using the excellent bullhead track from DCC Concepts and PECO in 4 mm, but I think I would like to start collecting some things in TT - to build a small exhibition layout - or even take over when my 4 mm layout has run it's course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Solo said:

Being excited by the latest announcement from Hornby and others I think I’ll certainly be dipping a toe into these waters but was wondering if any finer scale British-outline track parts were available in this scale?  The track announced by both Hornby and Peco is rather crude in appearance, I’m happy to spend time hand-building something more authentic but where would one go for, say, bullhead rail, sleepers or turnout kits?

Hi Solo, I think the simple answer is that we’re in the early days for this scale as a UK offering.  In 3mm Scale there will be components I’m sure (the 3mm Forum and / or Society would be the place to ask), but in 2.54mm scale I’m not sure anyone has taken the plunge yet - until there is some rolling stock (or at least wheelsets) tolerances will presumably involve some guesswork?  (I’m not a track builder, sorry - the Peco track is OK for me).  Tillig is very nice but, as you say, Continental in style.  It would be a good place to start though, Keith.

Code 55 flat-bottomed rail is available but the nearest bullhead produced is the code 40 from the 2mm Scale Association or code 60 from the 3mm. Personally I think the PECO track is quite well done while Tillig rail is grossly overscale.

Edited by HSB

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, HSB said:

Code 55 flat-bottomed rail is available but the nearest bullhead produced is the code 40 from the 2mm Scale Association or code 60 from the 3mm. Personally I think the PECO track is quite well done while Tillig rail is grossly overscale.

Both these are also available from C&L Finescale - https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/ - so you don't have to join the other societies though I am a member of both since they provide a useful range of bits.

Stuart

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/10/2022 at 17:06, Solo said:

3MM Society Code 60 bullhead rail and plastic chairs, Plastruct sleepers.

• Informative/Useful 1

It's not what I'd choose from the options that are out there; it's no bad so much as chunky.  At this point of course it's the widest range, and it could be a while before we see any offerings for truly prototypical British track in 1:120.  I certainly wouldn't make negative judgements of any modeller choosing Tillig (or indeed any of the current track offerings), it's just not my choice in the current circumstances.  It was, however, what I used for my first TT layout.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

PECO are the only ones currently offering close to scale height rail.

With regards to bullhead the equivalent of the code 75 normally used in 4mm works out at a code 47 rail in 1:120 which is not commercially available.

On 22/10/2022 at 17:54, NCB said:

British Finescale track in TT120 could of course be acceptable to 3mm Intermediate Standard modellers.

If sleepers scale for tt120 they will be under for 3mm, just ask for 3mm 12mm track I bet it will appear....who would of thought 14.2mm track would be made? I'm going to stick my head out hear! But it's only my personal opinion that's why 3mm has struggled to get a bigger following....too much mmmm looks like xxxx but needs this xxxxx...new model available but no underframe!....just like saying tt120 track will do for 3mm...

This has hindered 3mm

only a opinionated prats opinion!

Your train set your rules

• Like 1