Lairg - Far North Line OO Gauge

barney121e

• RMweb Gold

After many months planning, planning and more planning i have finally settled on a plan, and is of an actual station on the Far North Line. It is a fairly simply affair, being single line with a passing loop at the station. I could model the goods yard area a few different ways from a turntable, a goods shed and two yard lines, but have decided to model it with as it is now, with a small oil depot and two overgrown goods yard lines. The station also had livestock yards at some point, and as it isn't going to be an exact copy, i might model some holding pens.

I have had to make some compromises due to area i have. The two curved points are a concern, but having run most of my stock over them for quite a while without any derailments. Maybe have just been lucky but will keep them for now. The 1st radius curve for the oil depot and yard has also been tested with locomotives i will use in that area, and all seem happy. As it is only a small station, most trains were small which helps with the slightly limited platform size.

I need to find some Oil storage tanks, the stand up type, but can make my own if needed ( i hope). The station had two signal boxes so will have two on the layout. The level crossing is on a curve, so need to investigate crossing gates on a curve. I think DCC is best way to go, especially as i have a Jones Goods 4-6-0 on pre order.

lairgfinal.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So have laid the track to see how things look. The goods yard did have a third line where the goods shed was. I think it will look good, but just need to finalise the station. Struggling in a little with dimensions for the station but being diligent to get it right.

Also going to have a look at turntables, although think it will be too big. There was one before the oil terminal was put in and part of me is wondering if i should have one instead of the fuel depot.

Having laid the track a couple of the paints are where the frame of the baseboard is. They are in fiddle so going to see if i can operate them above the board with solenoid motors, to keep things simple.

On the plus size, the Peco laser cut signal box is a perfect match for one of the signal boxes so thats bonus.