Fleischmann Re 460 Faiveley pantograph replacement/modification

Michanglais

When the Fleischmann 460s were first introduced I was impressed with the finesse of the finish of the pantograph and how it sat within the pantograph 'well', just like the real thing! 

Then they introduced the godawful Faiveley pantograph and the whole look of the model was (for me) spoiled. It lost its streamlined finish with a monstrosity that sticks up from the panto well horribly. 

I was wondering whether any aftermarket manufacturers had produced a correctly-fitting version or, indeed, if there is a way of modifying the Fleischmann version so that it sits down in the pantograph well?

I'm unprototypically running contemporary trains with models equipped with the original pantograph - doesn't bother me (it's my railway! :) but there have been some Faiveley-fitted models produced I would have liked. I contacted Fleischmann to see if the Faiveley panto could simply be replaced with the original pantograph without modification to the model. They assured me it could (but I can't say I'm 100% confident I believe them). Obviously this would be highly unprototypical but I run my models 'pans down' so it wouldn't show unless you poked your nose right up close to the model. However, the replacement pantographs are €44 each. Ouch! Would make for a very expensive model.

Anyone heard of/seen anything that might help me in my distress?!

Cheers,

Michael

4 hours ago, Michanglais said:

When the Fleischmann 460s were first introduced I was impressed with the finesse of the finish of the pantograph and how it sat within the pantograph 'well', just like the real thing! 

Then they introduced the godawful Faiveley pantograph and the whole look of the model was (for me) spoiled. It lost its streamlined finish with a monstrosity that sticks up from the panto well horribly. 

I was wondering whether any aftermarket manufacturers had produced a correctly-fitting version or, indeed, if there is a way of modifying the Fleischmann version so that it sits down in the pantograph well?

I'm unprototypically running contemporary trains with models equipped with the original pantograph - doesn't bother me (it's my railway! :) but there have been some Faiveley-fitted models produced I would have liked. I contacted Fleischmann to see if the Faiveley panto could simply be replaced with the original pantograph without modification to the model. They assured me it could (but I can't say I'm 100% confident I believe them). Obviously this would be highly unprototypical but I run my models 'pans down' so it wouldn't show unless you poked your nose right up close to the model. However, the replacement pantographs are €44 each. Ouch! Would make for a very expensive model.

Anyone heard of/seen anything that might help me in my distress?!

Cheers,

Michael

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If you are running pan down then you are running Unprototypically, so I can't see why one would then worry about needing the exactly correct pantograph?

There is a notorious complete lack of any artisan activity for Swiss N - the Swiss themselves seem to be completely happy with using off the shelf items. To my knowledge there  are no artisans in Switzerland producing 'superdetailing' kits, conversion kits, decals etc