Powering Lincoln Locos bodies

britishcolumbian

9 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

Well I've just found photographic evidence that the BR Database website isn't always accurate on livery, I found a pic of 6332 at Old Oak Common in 1967 in blue with full yellow ends, but the database lists only the overall green... so I guess I'll have to do more digging to see what I can find out about 22s based at Bristol Road in the late 60s!

Have you reported the error to them?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, britishcolumbian said:

One of our Vancouver group got in touch with the guy in Edmonton who made the SW happen to see if he has any left (he withdrew entirely from "public life" after that debacle). The answer was affirmative in that he still did have a very few, but I believe they were all spoken for (I was going to get one but changed my mind)... might try asking the user CFRiad on TT Nut, he was the one who was acting the go-between. Or someone else might be willing to sell a spare of their own. I have two, one I kitbashed into a SP SW8, and the undec one in the picture above - that was put together from parts, which is all the Dutch distributor for MTB could get together anymore. If asking on TT Nut doesn't work out for you I could sell the undec one, with the caveat that I don't have all (or even most) of the detail parts (this really was built up of leftovers!), so finishing it would be up to you...

Thanks, I’m in no rush, so I’ll pick this up on TT Nut at some point if my plans move in that direction.  Do keep yours - sooner or later some spares are bound to be useful, even if incomplete.  Appreciated, Keith.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

20221103_192754.jpg.d585ba3c3747be1aefb47297f65b9886.jpg

Here is the Class 22 body next to a Hungarian Class M41... the 22 is so adorably small next to it, and the Csörgő (= "Rattler") isn't a big machine itself...

What are you intending to do about the bogie side-frames? I'm wondering how to manage them for my cl33 when it arrives.

Luke

19 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

I've received the package and I'm happy to see the shell is quite nice! I look forward to figuring out how to put it together with the V90 chassis once it arrives... then I'll have to find a source for decals. It'll be 6312 or 6320 in all-over green as those two were at Bath Road from 1967 to 1971 which fits into my chosen time period.

If you looking to pick a specific Cl22 then the book you want to try and get is "Class 22 Diesel-Hydraulics - A Definitive Record of the Fleet", by of David Wilson.

It's currently out of print but very valuable!

https://www.westernlocomotiveresearchsociety.com/book-vault-our-titles/rzknbkluqtvv345rhaj2cslnoev4wr

From the book:

09/67 BBR - 11/67 Laira, green with full yellow ends from some point in '67 until withdrawal, colour photo in above book p20.

07/67 BBR - withdrawal 05/71, green small yellow, delivered all over green with headcode disks, got headcode boxes when to green small yellow panel, prob '62. In '68 was given the name "Lister", hand painted on on side which seems to have become the nickname for the class.

Hope this helps.

Luke

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

What are you intending to do about the bogie side-frames? I'm wondering how to manage them for my cl33 when it arrives.

Luke

I haven't really thought about that yet, for the time being I'll just overlook that until I come up with a solution. One possible idea might be to draw up a replacement part for the originals, to identical design save for the sideframes, and 3D print them? I'm not sure yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Just thinking out loud, but would the old BTTB T435 chassis work? I haven't got one to measure, but someone might have.

I've got one of those and looked at it years ago, as I recall the issue is with how the bogies pivot around a central point in the chassis, ok if the bogie-centre to bogie-centre dimension is an exact match, but an issue if you needed to change it.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Hobby said:

What's the wheelbase and bogie centres? I'm wondering about a Class 25.

Ive been thinking about this for the past few days, I've got a fairly comprehensive collection of BTTB locos and I was planning to measure centre-to-centre, wheelbase and wheel diameters of a few of them as I want a Wessie and am thinking maybe the Nohab or BR232 Ludmilla chassis might suit. Need to find a new battery for my digital micrometer first...

(I also have the suspicion that a BR56 2-8-0 might be suitable for an 8F)

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Just thinking out loud, but would the old BTTB T435 chassis work? I haven't got one to measure, but someone might have.

_vyrp11_29341P2210128.jpg

Don't forget this model is not a bo bo as it seems! Two center axels fixed and powered  outer wheels on sprung pivot so a 1 bo 1 in reality...Good runner bit heavy on flanges though

So over the past couple of days I've been fiddling with my bogies. :^)

Even after a good clean the power bogie is a bit jerky, hesitant and sparks and "fzzts" along the track. I don't like the electrical conductivity of 4 wheel pickup as even when running smoothly they tend to stall on points, so I've added electrical pickups to the second bogie (which started life as a TT3 MJT compensated coach bogie kit):

1240387081_hy050.JPG.8762a87874d3999903e305db60e8b2a7.JPG 

The copper wipers came out of the bits box (again from a BTTB donor) with wires soldered on and glued to bits of plasticard with Araldite epoxy and a lump of lead from a car wheel balancing weight in the centre to make it rigid and give a bit of "heft" to the bogie to overcome the drag of the wipers on the backs of the wheels so that they don't just skate across the rail surface.

1562491929_hy060.JPG.c3553019ed7ab4e8e29d531cf2f7fbbc.JPG

And yes, the wheel diameters don't quite match, the power bogie ones are 10mm diameter and as I wanted solid metal wheels so that I could have the wiper pickups on the backs only Romford 9mm or 10.5mm were suitable (Kean Maygib have plastic centres). The 9mm ones looked much worse so I'm hoping that once the sideframes are on and they are mounted in the chassis that it won't be too noticable. I joined the wires and had a quick play on the layout, they scoot along very nicely and smoothly in both directions now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Don't forget this model is not a bo bo as it seems! Two center axels fixed and powered  outer wheels on sprung pivot so a 1 bo 1 in reality...

The BR 110 uses the same technique with a slightly longer wheelbase:

735884401_ll201.JPG.b52262c22ae006fd26f2e6c374d6dd5b.JPG

I suppose if the wheelbase dimensions are correct they might be suitable if you can squeeze them under a body, although personally I would replace those old BTTB motors,

418920832_ll202.JPG.2a4e92a24ed56e13a11673326498bb8f.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

The BR 110 uses the same technique with a slightly longer wheelbase:

735884401_ll201.JPG.b52262c22ae006fd26f2e6c374d6dd5b.JPG

I suppose if the wheelbase dimensions are correct they might be suitable if you can squeeze them under a body, although personally I would replace those old BTTB motors,

418920832_ll202.JPG.2a4e92a24ed56e13a11673326498bb8f.JPG

Clever design

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

(Kean Maygib have plastic centres)

FWIW, I frequently use 'silver conducting paint' to short out plastic centred O Gauge wheels such as Slaters, usually to a 'live' motor bogie frame with the other side a plunger pick up, but the method works equally as well with wheel tyre wipers. A small phial of the paint/lacqueur will do for many a wheel and has a good shelf life.

Just as a guide, because I can't get at my vernier calipers at the moment so just used my metal ruler, I had a look at my BTTB V75/T435... the approximate "centre" to "centre" distance is 2-5/32" (22' 9-3/4" in scale) and the bogie wheelbase is 25/32" (7' 9-3/4" in scale). And of course the important dimension, 8/10" is the width of the BTTB engine and total width of the body is 31/32" (9' 8-1/4")... for whatever it's worth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found it sooner than I thought!

https://www.tt-board.de/forum/wiki/?title=Drehgestellbaukasten

There also posts on the RMWeb Peco TT forum as to the dimensions of UK bogies. Some are close, some are way off. The only completely correct one (not on this list) is the MBT Romanian DA 060. It is a perfect match for a class 56 because it is fundamentally the same bogie! Designed in Switzerland it was licenced to the Romania Joint venture "Electroputere" and used in the '70's by Brush for their Cl 56 design.

Luke

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

The only completely correct one (not on this list) is the MBT Romanian DA 060. It is a perfect match for a class 56 because it is fundamentally the same bogie! Designed in Switzerland it was licenced to the Romania Joint venture "Electroputere" and used in the '70's by Brush for their Cl 56 design.

The 56 is actually one of the ones I kinda suspect MTB might produce eventually, partly because of the bogies but also because they run in Hungary with Floyd Zrt. and they've been paying a fair bit of attention to Hungary lately.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

The 56 is actually one of the ones I kinda suspect MTB might produce eventually, partly because of the bogies but also because they run in Hungary with Floyd Zrt. and they've been paying a fair bit of attention to Hungary lately.

A 56 is on the distant horizon and my come to fruition if I get the 33 working well enough. At the moment I haven't actually found any suppliers with the DA060 in stock...

Luke

It is a list of BR Diesels and Electrics noting wheelbase centres, bogie wheelbase and wheel diameter of locomotives up to about 1983, with their TT120 equivalents.

My refence materials don't cover diesels after 56 and electrics after 89. 

May this be of use to people :)

Luke

TT UK Diesel & Electric bogie and locomotive wheelbase dimensions.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

It is a list of BR Diesels and Electrics noting wheelbase centres, bogie wheelbase and wheel diameter of locomotives up to about 1983, with their TT120 equivalents.

My refence materials don't cover diesels after 56 and electrics after 89. 

May this be of use to people :)

Luke

TT UK Diesel & Electric bogie and locomotive wheelbase dimensions.pdf 149.41 kB · 1 download

Brill do you want to do the same for your brothers in 3mm section 1:101 scale?