Triang R156

daryll

• RMweb Premium

Would it be possible to fit DCC to the old Triang R156 / R255 Southern EMU , I would have to fit pick ups to the dummy coach , this would enable me to have coach lighting

• RMweb Gold

I fitted a Lenz standard + chip to the R157 Deisel Railcar which uses the same power bogie.

Had to hardwire it and you need to ensure the brushes are completely isolated from the pickups.

Note both brushes need insulating sleeves on the brush spring and on the side with the original isolating sleeve the brush touches the pickup strip to get power so this also needs needs to be insulated.

Used the wiper blade contacts  sold by  DCC Concepts for the trailing bogie and dummy powercar bogie for extra pickups and lighting.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/pickup-wiper-12-pack/

Edit

Apologies ,  got the two bogie types mixed up.  All you need to do is put an insulation sleeve on the spring for both brushes and create another connection point for the newly insulated brush from an old brush or solder the wires direct to the brushes, you can also remove the suppression.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=166

Edited by beejack
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dead easy. Put an additional insulated sleeve over the uninsulated brush as described above.
However the non powered coach will have likely have open axlebox bogies with large flange plastic wheels.   I don't know of metal replacements for them.  Wrenn wagon wheels will be too small, Jackson too skinny.  I would swap all 3 unpowered bogies for Hornby Dublo and fit lima wheels in cut down top hat pin point bearings.  They are insulated one side only and so you can pick up through the bogie frame and pin point bearings without wipers.   Otherwise maybe look for something H0, I bought 30 axles of beautiful H0 wheels for my Airfix Mk2 coaches from a show at Bishops Cleeve  years ago, nice flange, wide tyre but no idea what make.