RMweb

How should auto reverse units be used on this DCC track plan?

This DCC plan is a part of a space saving set of storage sidings of the layout made for a train to enter and then return to the scenery part on either line or be placed in a siding and a new train to head out. However in making it flexible for a train to enter and depart on either line as necessary it has brought up the complication of where to put the isolated sections in the track, what parts should be the separate loops, where the power supply should be (currently situated where the red and black dots are) and where the auto reverse units should be placed. I currently have one Gaugemaster DCC40 prodigy AR unit but I’m thinking maybe a second one is necessary? If it helps the track being used is OO peco setrack insulfrog code 100. I'll be most grateful for any advice/expertise on the matter.

1.png

You need to isolate and apply the auto reversers to the track sections starting top left going into the reversing loop sections only as far as the first turnout on each. As far as I can see. 

As far as powering the track is concerned you need a lot of feeds. You can't rely on fishplates.

Edited by RobinofLoxley
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I started several times but it's difficult to comment because the track plan is a bit odd and doesn't really look as if it was designed with DCC operation in mind.

So thinking about auto reversers seems a bit of a moot point.

My instinctive reaction is that it needs to be re-thought-out from scratch but that doesn't help the OP.

Sorry, @TheCoffeePot.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I can see what Harlequin is getting at, and actually don’t disagree, I think as well as the “where to put it” question, there is also the consideration of size and length. Can the storage sidings (is that what all the dead end roads are?) hold the required train lengths, and can the reversing section hold a full train length? For the auto-reversing tool to work, I think it needs the reversing length of track to be able to accommodate maximum train length. It’s not possible to judge lengths on the diagram.

In any case, for effective DCC, there’d need to be many more track feeds than the single one shown. I haven’t worked it through, but I suspect that if some points are set in certain directions, there’d be areas where no power would get through because of the isolating nature of points.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for bringing your knowledge to the table, looks like I have my work cut out for me, this has been very helpful.

To answer some queries:

The layout is being converted from DC so many more dropper feeds will be installed, taking note of the new isolation sections.

The shortest loop should hold a 7 coach train so there's no danger of the trains being too long.

Again thanks for you time and effort, most appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I assume this already exists and has to be incorporated without alteration into something new?  Because it seems to be an incredibly complicated way of arranging a reverse loop with attached storage sidings.

Just for fun I drew it out in XTrackCad using Peco 00 Setrack (and straight flexi) and guess that makes the board at least 8'6" x 5'6".  Or perhaps 4'6" x 3' in N.  Obviously guessing at the detail of the sidings layout ....

Reversegif.gif.15a09f9f07cecaa02b9bd434151cc763.gif

Edited by Chimer
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

So then I thought, OK, how would I use this space for this purpose?

Revere2gif.gif.1bab203e94fa81cd02a758111a25acbd.gif

Most of the curves are 2nd radius, nothing tighter.  The crossovers top left are to meet the requirement for trains to enter and leave on either line. The crossover bottom centre creates a continuous run (picked out in orange) for running-in / testing purposes.  The green section is the auto-reverse bit.  And (if it's 00) there are a couple of (snug) emergency access areas.  

The loops on the right will take 5 (Mk 1) coach, loco-hauled trains.  The sidings towards the top are designed for multiple units that don't need the reverse loop.  The sidings on the left could be used (say) for extra coaches to attach to the tail of a 5 coach train to make an impressive occasional special.  But obviously there are many options for the sidings areas - one alternative might be a roundhouse loco storage area.

And (imho) it just looks a bit more logical!  Whatever, it gave me a couple of hours of design fun (must get out more 🙃).

Cheers, Chris

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

That is a really good Job Chimer with the following caveats, and notwithstanding that those of us that are really interested in layout planning like to play with opportunities like these, solicited or not!

The caveats - the original layout strongly suggests that the storage is designed for locos and definitely not for trains; and that there must be unrestricted access to three sides of the fiddle yard - neither of which we know

• RMweb Premium

6 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

That is a really good Job Chimer with the following caveats, and notwithstanding that those of us that are really interested in layout planning like to play with opportunities like these, solicited or not!

The caveats - the original layout strongly suggests that the storage is designed for locos and definitely not for trains; and that there must be unrestricted access to three sides of the fiddle yard - neither of which we know

We don't even know what scale it is ........ he does talk about 7 coach trains in another post, but I can't see anywhere they might go!