Looking for help! Improving Teaks and the ‘oily rag’ look.

Hi, 

I’m looking for help in a few areas which I’m pretty sure has been covered many times on here so I apologise… I’m really happy for people to just point me towards the relevant posts if necessary. 

1) I’ve got a set of Hornby Teaks which are way too pale. I’ve heard of people using layers of varnish to make them look more realistic. 
Can anyone tell me how to do this? I’ve got a railroad 4 wheel coach in teak to practise on!

2) I’m a massive fan of the ‘oily rag’ look where locos look like they’ve been used but polished up. I’ve absolutely no idea how this is done! Anyone able to teach me or point me to where I can learn? 

3) Lastly… I need a rattle can gloss varnish that’s suitable for applying transfers on to, for a respect project. Does it need to be a particular one or would even a Halfords clear gloss rattle can be ok?

Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, alexl102 said:

1) I’ve got a set of Hornby Teaks which are way too pale. I’ve heard of people using layers of varnish to make them look more realistic. 
Can anyone tell me how to do this? I’ve got a railroad 4 wheel coach in teak to practise on!

Mike Trice's helpful videos:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/153339-reproducing-lner-varnished-teak-painting-and-graining-with-oil-paints/

I assume you are referring to the old Hornby coaches now sold under the Railroad brand.  They are several scale feet too short but once you accept the various compromises they can be made to look quite good.  A search around RMweb will bring up a number of examples though, sadly, many posts are now lacking their photographs following last year's crash.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I use the method that Mike Trice demonstrates in those videos for my teak carriages. I like that the oil paints give plenty of time to adjust the teak effect.

A couple of weeks ago I had a go at the Railroad carriages and changed this

CF55AA2C-3400-4867-9F20-C9CA9E2379DC.jpeg.079235c6488270b13024c605632f1227.jpeg

into this

1C57FCD1-F0DC-494C-9F30-DC0A22223DD4.jpeg.039d25351c32dbfb091a32faa2336740.jpeg

Apart from the re-paint,  the only change was to replace the wheels.

I liked the result so much that I’m now working on the other carriages from the Flying Scotsman set!

Regards

Jon

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...

The scuzzy way to do it is a few coats of water-based wash like Citadel Colour Seraphim Sepia.  I did some LNER clerestories tonight and they look pretty good trundling around behind the N2.  Obviously take the glazing strip out first and stick it back when happy with the colour.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1