Mercian models

I was most saddened to read in the obituary section of the passing of Trevor Cousens. Having posted my thoughts, I thought it would be an appropriate idea to clear Frydale of the Hunslets and give the Pecketts a run in his memory.

Having already built a couple of the Mercian Hunslets I got to know Trevor when I was building Ackton Hall #3. He did me an excellent deal on the X2 kit at the 2018 Guildex as I had convinced myself that the X2 on the kit literature was AH#3. It turned out that it was in fact Newdigate #3 and that there were quite distinct differences in the tank plating and rivet patterns. Following discussions at Doncaster and several phone calls Trevor generously sent me two lots of etchesIMG_20221030_100646.jpg.f2d0dcf385922e8a2acd127ac11fba4b.jpg from his other X2 kits. In the end I bit the bullet and scratch built the AH#3 tank. The one from the original kit now sits in the yard of Frydale. With a bit of scratch building I created a fair copy of Newdigate #3 to go with it. The third loco has never been quite completed. It was an experiment to see if I could turn a set of Hachette tender wheels into driving wheels. It turned out that the sloppy axle fit that bedevilled the FS kit also prevented accurate quartering and I lost interest. One day I will come across a set of Slaters wheels at an irresistible price and it might get finished.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you for posting the sad information that Trevor Cousins had recently passed away.

I believe I first met Trevor many years ago when he had a small model shop in Rugeley. 

Our paths crossed again when he became a regular supporter and  trader at our Stafford Exhibition, even after he ceased to take trade space  with us I often had a chat with him at both O Gauge and 0.16.5 narrow gauge events.

I many of his kits NG 0.16.5 wagon kits.

I think I’m correct in saying that last time I saw Trevor was the 0.16.5 Narrow Gauge Exhibition at Burton on Trent earlier this year.

A absolute gentleman RIP Trevor 

Terry 

Stafford Railway Circle 

Edited by ELTEL
Update
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 10 months later...

I'm not sure if the tank I modelled will have survived the rebuild. It had a unique pattern of rivitted platework possibly dating back to a recorded wartlime visit to the factory. In the end the individual plates were cut from shim brass and overlaid on a slightly undersized tank.

I really need to get round to ordering a couple of the powside wagons to go with.it.

• Like 1