Rule of thumb weight for rolling stock?

bluestag

Hi,

I have some additions to the rolling stock for my layout, and some of it does not hold the track well.    I added weight to my new Slaters Private Owner mineral wagons.    They are performing better but not perfectly.

And I have a rake of Gladiator LNWR six wheeled coaches.   Just the build weight does not seem enough.    I added weight to one of the coaches, which had been finicky on a particular curved Peco turnout, and it behaved better, but not perfectly.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb weight per axle for rolling stock?   I forget what it is in 4mm, but it exists.

Kevin

The American NMRA have a list of such things on their website.

Obviously it refers to HO but it is close enough for 4mm scale.

Without checking

something like 

An ounce plus Half an ounce per inch of vehicle body  comes to mind.

Edited by LBRJ

The Guild recommended formula is 1g per millimetre of length or 1oz per inch with a minimum of about 4.4 ounces / 125g.  I find it helps if all wagons in a train are about the same weight.  I don't have any experience with six wheelers but obviously they bring with them additional factors to consider especially with our sharper than prototypical radii.

Kubes 

The Guild recommendations seem to work, and I’d agree that trying to be consistent is worth the effort.  

Difficult though, I have a wide range of stock, some RTR, some scratch in plastic, wood, or metal. Lots of kits in plastic, brass, and whitemetal, and they have a wide range of weights too.  

it’s also worth making sure that all stock rolls freely, axles are parallel, and the wheelsets are gauged correctly.

• Agree 1