Converting US O Gauge 3 Rail to 2 Rail

brynna79

• RMweb Gold

HI, 

I wondered how hard it is to convert US O Gauge 3-Rail to 2-Rail.  Namely Lionel and MTH locomotives? 

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/last-try-lionel-legacy-gorail-sd60e

I have seen some at a relatively good price, although there is a compromise on some of the detail.  Having trouble seeing how much 2-Rail O Gauge is actually available. 

Cheers

Atlas has been better than Lionel and MTH ... and much of its stuff has been available in 2-rail.  It's acquired a selection of MTH product now (Premier), but we all let over-enthusiasm get the better of us.  Have a closer look than you needed with Master series and most Trainman.  Now what was your question??

Oh yes, 2-railing Lionel and MTH locos.  Haven't tried steam, it can be done, friend of mine here in the UK did it with Walsall Industry wheels, just had to plan ahead for axle/bearing shaft diameters.  No, the Walsall wheels may not have the 'right' number of spokes (1:43 vs 1:48 scale difference) and these were Sunset 3-railers.

Diesels are 'easier' and on the Lionel U30C I'm doing, the Peartree 7mm 3'1" wheels are close enough in diameter and the axle diameter is the same at 3/16".  Now a choice: take the truck gears off the original wheelsets and put them on the Peartree axles or put the Peartree wheels (obtainable separately) on the original axles. 

The end-sill/steps combo need taking off the trucks and adding to the chassis with a 1/8" spacer cut to combo outline.  I've got some Atlas U23B spacer pieces which I hope will be easier to use than cut from 1/8" plastic (I've got ABS to try).

Just picked up an MTH unpowered SD70M to have a play with when the U30C's finished.

Hey, no hysterical laughter, maybe I can finish it.  Have fun,

Jason

• Like 1