Burton-on-Trent Station - Overbridge Buildings

ISW

Through a combination of a 2-Chain Plan Drawing, some aerial photos, and a lot of photographs scoured from t'internet I've been able to cobble together a scale Drawing of the Overbridge Buildings of the 1883 Burton-on-Trent station, demolished in 1972:

1647687114_OverbridgeBuilding.png.c98e38276ad093435df0df591a15724d.png

However, the photographs I found are limited in both their scope (some aspects of the building didn't appear on any I found) and resolution. As a result I've had to make a number of 'guesses' and 'interpretations' to complete the Drawing.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of the Station, or any unpublished photographs, that they could use to do a 'sanity check' on the above Drawing and let me know where I have the details wrong? Thanks.

Edit: I should add that I am aware that the Gallery should be 2-bays wide (I've drawn it with 1-bay), but I'm a little limited on space to fit it all in.

Ian

Edited by ISW
As shown.
  • Like 2

Well, it was a bit of a long shot ...

My thanks go to the 84 people (as of now) who viewed this Posting, and I hope I've instilled in them a little curiosity and interest in the old Burton-on-Trent station.

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

From your mention of the two-chain plan, I assume you have already scoured the resources of the Midland Railway Study Centre?

I've certainly 'had a look around' the Midland Railway Centre. 'Scoured' might be taking it a bit far though. I'm sure there's more in there but, when I was looking about a year ago, I didn't find their search mechanism to be very user friendly. Maybe time I took another look ...

Ian

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, ISW said:

I've certainly 'had a look around' the Midland Railway Centre. 'Scoured' might be taking it a bit far though. I'm sure there's more in there but, when I was looking about a year ago, I didn't find their search mechanism to be very user friendly. Maybe time I took another look ...

It is true that the search isn't very sophisticated - one needs an exact phrase. An alternative is to contact Dave Harris, the Study Centre coordinator.

BTW there is much confusion of names, so for any reader who is confused:

The Midland Railway Study Centre, at the Museum of Making housed in the Silk Mill in Derby, is a partnership between the Midland Railway Society and Derby Museums, housing material belonging to both organisations. 

The Midland Railway Centre is the heritage railway based at Butterley; it too holds many artefacts of Midland Railway interest but is a separate organisation to both the Society and the Study Centre, though there are of course society members who are involved with Butterley.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

The Midland Railway Centre is the heritage railway based at Butterley; it too holds many artefacts of Midland Railway interest but is a separate organisation to both the Society and the Study Centre, though there are of course society members who are involved with Butterley.

And then there is the HMRS at Butterley (well, Swanwick Junction). I visited them a few years ago and they let me photograph some pages from a book on Burton-on-Trent, a book I've subsequently purchased on t'Bay.

I've actually amassed over 100 photographs of the 1883 Burton-on-Trent station from various sources. But even this large number manages to completely miss several aspects of the buildings. I suppose that it's only with the advent of Google Maps that we can see all they way around a building / station. Sadly, no use to me as the 1883 station was demolished before the advent of personal computers, let alone t'internet & Google! I think I first saw a pocket calculator, belonging to a friend, (a Rockwell calculator) in about 1973 when Log Tables and Slide Rules were de-rigor.

Ian

• Like 2