Airfix production back in UK

stonesboy

On 15/11/2022 at 14:36, 1andrew1 said:

My understanding from watching an Airfix video is that it's now just the 1/24 Spitfire which is being made in the UK. They're really doing this as a novelty as it's such a British plane.

The Quick Build range is like most of the rest of the range, now made in India. That range was originally made in the UK  as it had smaller production runs but cost increases and sufficient sales volumes made it worthwhile moving to India too. Hornby said that the cost savings are not in moulding but in packing the boxes which is quite labour-intensive.

Dragging this a few pages forward... 

Looking at recent quick build releases the sticker with the factory code etc is still the same as it always has. I've stuck enough of them on the boxes to have it engraved in my mind! 

The UK company featured in the 1st UKTV series on Hornby so has everything changed since that was aired?

2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Dragging this a few pages forward... 

Looking at recent quick build releases the sticker with the factory code etc is still the same as it always has. I've stuck enough of them on the boxes to have it engraved in my mind! 

The UK company featured in the 1st UKTV series on Hornby so has everything changed since that was aired?

Yes, one of their financial updates mentioned stock had increased as they'd had to increase orders of QuickBuild as they'd moved production to India which required longer production runs than the UK. As you say, the range was originally made in Sussex and Hornby made a bit of a thing about it.  Doubtless, Indian-made kits will take a bit of time to trickle through.

On 15/11/2022 at 18:28, bmthtrains - David said:

Having spoken to several people from Airfix about this in a professional context, I got a sense they were possibly regretting this as it’s simply shown up how much better skilled the Chinese are at tooling and injection moulding, particularly for models. I wouldn’t be surprised if this remains a one-off.

David 

I strongly doubt that - there is a well-known plastic kit manufacturer that manufactures almost entirely in the UK and also happens to be in the FTSE 250...

• Agree 1