Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Select V1.6 Functions Question

I have recently upgraded the Hornby Select to V1.6, Th controller works well driving loco forward and back, but. I am struggling to grasp the principles of functions and Sound. I have a Sound fitted 14xx, but, have no list of functions to go with it.

Pressing a number between 10 and 29 and then the function button I have had a couple of sounds, a bell and also a woosh of steam, but, that was it. Now no sounds.

What am I doing wrong, Im completely new to DCC

There are different sound decoders. The 2 most popular in the UK are Hornby TTS, Loksound & Zimo.

Hornby's cannot be changed. The sounds themselves are on a sheet included with your loco (which if you've bought from somebody, they may have clumsily thrown away). I can't find these listed on their website.

The others are more complicated. They are sold blank & a vendor will load (or 'blow') their own 'project' onto them. The vendor could be Legomanbiffo, Youchoos, Digitrains, Jamie Goodman, South West Digital... there are lots more. They will each have their own set of sounds assigned to different keys. They will either provide these with the decoder or you could find them on the web, but make sure you do it when you buy the decoder because vendors occasionally move sounds around when improving their own project.

So it is important to know what decoder & project you have.

I can't help with the Select I'm afraid. Systems all work differently.

I hope that hasn't put you off. DCC is a very useful system.

I don't have a select so can't comment from experience, but a quick read online seems to say the sound functions are got at by pressing the number key AND function button simultaneously. As far as I'm aware most projects have the sound switched on by F1, so in your case the 1 and function buttons together. F2 or F3 usually have the whistle, so 2 and function together, and so on.

As stated above you need to find the manufacturer of  the chip and sound project for which functions do what, but give the above a try and see what happens. Once the sound is on you can try other keys and see what sounds you get.

Nigel L

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

There are different sound decoders. The 2 most popular in the UK are Hornby TTS, Loksound & Zimo.

Hornby's cannot be changed. The sounds themselves are on a sheet included with your loco (which if you've bought from somebody, they may have clumsily thrown away). I can't find these listed on their website.

The others are more complicated. They are sold blank & a vendor will load (or 'blow') their own 'project' onto them. The vendor could be Legomanbiffo, Youchoos, Digitrains, Jamie Goodman, South West Digital... there are lots more. They will each have their own set of sounds assigned to different keys. They will either provide these with the decoder or you could find them on the web, but make sure you do it when you buy the decoder because vendors occasionally move sounds around when improving their own project.

So it is important to know what decoder & project you have.

I can't help with the Select I'm afraid. Systems all work differently.

I hope that hasn't put you off. DCC is a very useful system.

Thanks it is a Hattons 14XX DJM I think, Ive sent them a message hoping it was originally bought from them with the sound fitted.Ive tried looking at the decoder but, it is firmly wedged in the boiler and I dont want to use anythig to grab it.

I think the problem is more with the Select controller or more likely the way I am using it. Ive tried following the instructions but sound does not seem to want to work.

• RMweb Gold

What @Lemmy282 said: Use F1 to turn loco sounds on and off. I.e. Press "1" then press "Function" and the loco should start to hiss. When you drive it, it will now chuff!

The sound-fitted Hattons/DJM 14xx was supplied with an ESU Loksound Micro V4 decoder with a sound project by Olivia's trains. The best thing about it: Birdsong on F14...

4 hours ago, Harlequin said:

What @Lemmy282 said: Use F1 to turn loco sounds on and off. I.e. Press "1" then press "Function" and the loco should start to hiss. When you drive it, it will now chuff!

The sound-fitted Hattons/DJM 14xx was supplied with an ESU Loksound Micro V4 decoder with a sound project by Olivia's trains. The best thing about it: Birdsong on F14...

Thanks, It doesnt do anything when I press 1 and F so I suspect something must be amiss somewhere

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:

Had a reply from Hattons telling me to reset CV8 to 8, which rreset the decoder and now have sound. Sadly no list of functions

Ah hah, so simple. Great that you got it working.

Here's the function list (assuming it is the project that I'm thinking of):

F1 Driving sounds

F1 Steam brake (start off)

F2 Whistle

F3 Whistle

F5 Coal shovelling

F7 Guard's whistle

F8 Driver acknowledgement

F9 Buffer clash

F10 Coupling clank

F11 Flange squeal

F12 Water fill

F13 Rail clack

F14 Birdsong

F15 Fade out sound

F16 Safety valve

F17 Injector

F18 Westinghouse

F19 Auto bell

26 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Just to clarify - on a Select you press a function number THEN Function, not the number AND Function together.

Thanks, If I reset the Select CV8 to 8 then the loco gives a click and then a hiss of steam, and although it will drive off in either fwd or rev I don't get any other sound. The problem is I dont understand what I am doing. When I press a number then Function I either get Of or On, but, even when it says On I have nothing

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Just to clarify - on a Select you press a function number THEN Function, not the number AND Function together.

Yes, the manual clearly says to enter the function number then press Function:

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360015937319/1.5_dcc_select_manual.pdf

(That is for version 1.5 and the addenda for 1.6 and 2.0 refer back to it.)

It appears that the Select has no momentary function key action - the user has to remember to turn off sounds that might no longer be playing, which could be confusing if they expect the sound to play again.

13 hours ago, Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:

Thanks, If I reset the Select CV8 to 8 then the loco gives a click and then a hiss of steam, and although it will drive off in either fwd or rev I don't get any other sound. The problem is I dont understand what I am doing. When I press a number then Function I either get Of or On, but, even when it says On I have nothing

There shouldn't be any need to repeatedly do CV8=8 resets but for the sake of testing:

• Enter the loco address and press Select.
  • Set CV8 to 8 (it should jump slightly).
  • Press 1 and then press Function (the display should say "On" and the loco should start hissing).
  • Drive the loco in either direction (it should chuff).

What actually happens?

BTW: The Hornby Select is a very basic DCC controller and clearly not the easiest to use. If you're serious about DCC it would be worth thinking about getting something better.

Edited by Harlequin

8 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Yes, the manual clearly says to enter the function number then press Function:

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360015937319/1.5_dcc_select_manual.pdf

(That is for version 1.5 and the addenda for 1.6 and 2.0 refer back to it.)

It appears that the Select has no momentary function key action - the user has to remember to turn off sounds that might no longer be playing, which could be confusing if they expect the sound to play again.

There shouldn't be any need to repeatedly do CV8=8 resets but for the sake of testing:

• Enter the loco address and press Select.
  • Set CV8 to 8 (it should jump slightly).
  • Press 1 and then press Function (the display should say "On" and the loco should start hissing).
  • Drive the loco in either direction (it should chuff).

What actually happens?

BTW: The Hornby Select is a very basic DCC controller and clearly not the easiest to use. If you're serious about DCC it would be worth thinking about getting something better.

Thanks for your help, following your instructions after I reset CV8 to 8, the loco hisses for a few seconds, then nothing when i press 1 or drive loco