A bit of O, Heljan Brush type 2.

w124bob

I was recently asked if I'd like to weather an O gauge diesel for a fellow MMRS member, being out of my normal scale and era I jumped at the chance. I took the pictures to see what areas need finishing so these pictures are a work in progress. Paints used were the acrylic equivalent of of Humbrol black and tan(62)brand unknown. With just two powders, black and dust. So far there's about two hours work here. 

I started off giving the bogies/fuel tank a wash of colours, then the roof, using the same two colours thinned with water kept in an old washing up liquid bottle(the small amount of soap residue is useful). The roof was then given a wipe off with a damp(soapy water) brush/paper towel. Then using the same colours the grills, bottom white stripe area, vertical beading and around all the crevices door shuts etc. Whilst still drying I then clean this off using vertical brush strokes with a flat brush dipped in the soapy water, as it drys, using a clean dry brush more cleaning is done aided by cotton buds, for O gauge I actually used a decorators soft 2inch brush as well! The soapy water as it drys leaves a slightly white residue, fading the paint. Next the bogies, grills and lower body were given a dusting of powders brushing downwards, I did this over a large box file which then allows all the excess dust to be reused( the grot box!). 

Jobs to do, clean the windows! Touch up the roof grab handles in gray and nose hand rails green, add grease effect to parts of the bogies and buffers, diesel spill around the tank filler and a little metal sheen to the footsteps using a soft pencil. Loco will appear on the members model stand at the Manchester show(gratuitous plug)10th & 11th of December.

D5532 pic1.jpg

D5532 pic4.jpg

D5532 pic5.jpg

One thing I noticed studying photos of the real thing in period was the MU receptacles were originally black not orange, these have now been painted. The owner also installed the air brake pipes, so these have been removed, the "to do" list is now done. Finished pictures coming soon. Layout is the MMRS O gauge Cornbrook.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1