Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway questions

Guest WM183

Hi folks.

So I just recently learned that this railroad even existed! It seems to tick many a box for me, but I'd like to know a bit more. Their location in East Anglia and their collection of only a few types of smallish engines appeals, as does the fact they seemed to operate a truly mismatched collection of carriages and wagons. I love to scratchbuild stuff like that.

I know a book exists for their locomotives, and the photos I have seen of some internal pages seem to reveal that it contains actual GA drawings and other useful goodies for a modeller. Do books like that also exist for their carriages and wagons? I'd like to replicate that stair-step uneven roofline of a train of mismatched carriages, and their brake vans were also really distinct. Are their wagons and coaches just hand me downs from Midland and the Great Northern, or did they build any of their own?

Thanks much!

Amanda

6 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi folks.

So I just recently learned that this railroad even existed! It seems to tick many a box for me, but I'd like to know a bit more. Their location in East Anglia and their collection of only a few types of smallish engines appeals, as does the fact they seemed to operate a truly mismatched collection of carriages and wagons. I love to scratchbuild stuff like that.

I know a book exists for their locomotives, and the photos I have seen of some internal pages seem to reveal that it contains actual GA drawings and other useful goodies for a modeller. Do books like that also exist for their carriages and wagons? I'd like to replicate that stair-step uneven roofline of a train of mismatched carriages, and their brake vans were also really distinct. Are their wagons and coaches just hand me downs from Midland and the Great Northern, or did they build any of their own?

Thanks much!

Amanda

A number of smaller companies amalgamated, hence a variety of old and small locos. They started to develop their own standard classes when they became the M&GNR, a joint line of the Midland and Great Northern Railway companies, which led the the Midland introducing its classes.

They had a number of their own coaches, but received many 6-wheel coaches second-hand from the MR and GNR c.1903, so there was a great variety of 4 and 6 wheel coaches.

The MGN Circle has a good drawing collection.

A great choice of subject. Good luck.

• Like 1

What scale are you planning on using? I have seen your posts on the 2FS forum, so If you were going that way, David Eveleigh does some etches for M&GN locos in 2mm - his details are in the small suppliers' section of the 2mm Scale Association website.

Bill

• Like 1

I dunno. 2mm is great and I will likely work in that scale. The largely "one stop shopping" offered by the 2mm scale association is a godsend for those of us on the continent. 7mm is harder and harder for me due to the number of different places I must source from but I do love the detail. Maybe both!?

• 2 weeks later...