Modifying Bachmann PRR P70 coaches

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I have a number of Spectrum P70 coaches that I want to convert into the later rebuilt versions. The main external difference being the roof, the models have the original clerestory roof and I need to model the later rounded version. Has anyone done this or know of  an off the shelf kit? 

The coach as they come: 

1000x294.png?1614727218

And a video showing what I want to create:

Edited by simon b
Video not linked

Hi Simon

First of all, what a superb YouTube video! I watched it all. The camera work (with sound) is fantastic!

Now as to your query then I'm a little out of my depth with coaching stock so I don't know whether there are conversion kits or the like.  However, I would approach the problem by looking for other coach models with the 'correct' (ie exactly or very close to) profile and 'cut and shut'  in the horizontal plane?

Foxy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Luigi Taveri said:

Hi Simon

First of all, what a superb YouTube video! I watched it all. The camera work (with sound) is fantastic!

Now as to your query then I'm a little out of my depth with coaching stock so I don't know whether there are conversion kits or the like.  However, I would approach the problem by looking for other coach models with the 'correct' (ie exactly or very close to) profile and 'cut and shut'  in the horizontal plane?

Foxy

Glad you like the film, here is a link to his channel: link lots more of this sort of thing on there. I will warn you though it's easy to loose an hour or two watching some of the playlists.

I was hoping I could use the roof from something else but nothing I can find seems to have the correct profile, it's quite a shallow curve at the top but sharpens up as it gets further out.  I might try rolling some plasticard and see how that looks.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Patrick SPF said:

If you can find them and can stand the issues with them (the moldings are frequently banana shaped), the old Eastern Car Works range of PRR coach kits included a number of the rebuilds.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see If I can track them down.

As a fellow fan of PRR stock (Long Island Rail Road used a bunch!) I'd be tempted to dig a Spectrum coach out of storage and CAD-up a model roof to 3D-print.  But it'll take me some time to get round to it, and you'd need access to a decent resin printer because Shapeways would charge several limbs for something this big!  (I have a mate who prints for a hobby, and I can usually get him to print things for me if I give him the STL file.)  I'd be tempted to print it in sections to fit the print-bed of smaller machines...