VXV ex-Blue Spot SPV markings

lather

In Modelling British Railways vol 4 - Parcels and Mail Trains (Key Publishing, 2021), there's a feature on the ex-Blue Spot SPVs. On page 55, there's a picture of E87897, one of the vans that initially became an SPV, and was then transferred to general freight stock with the TOPS code VXV.

Looking at the picture, you can make out most of the markings, but there's a couple on the left-hand end of the van that I can't figure out. The first is down by the solebar, just below and to the right of the chalked number 10. It reminds me of the old wagon speed/load charts, but all the ones I've seen before have been black text on a yellow background, while this is white text painted straight onto the blue bodywork. The second is right up in the top left corner of the body, in the angle made by the end of the body and the cross-bracing and just above where the old "arrow of indecision" has been painted out.

Can anyone tell me what these markings are?

Thanks for the reply, and I guess you couldn't get a better source!

That's the first time I've seen a painted speed/load chart, as every other time they've been the yellow and black version.

As for the other marking, the larger image seems to show some 3D to it, as it looks like there's a shadow on the left-hand side, and also on the upper right-hand corner. To me, that suggests that, rather than a painted marking, it seems more like it could be a stuck-on paper label.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Painted data panels became quite common; the original labels tended to get worn off some types of wagon and painting was more permanent and cheaper..

Some ex Blue C Spot vans were poainted in bauxite and used u in freight flows in the late 1960s/early '70s one articular regular traffic being the NCL 'trunk haulage' traffic between Paddington Goods and bristol TM Goods although it didn't last for many years before going over to road.  Probably at one time on the 20.30 ex Paddingt0n Goods - Tavistock Jcn which ran via Bristol.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Painted data panels became quite common; the original labels tended to get worn off some types of wagon and painting was more permanent and cheaper..

Some ex Blue C Spot vans were poainted in bauxite and used u in freight flows in the late 1960s/early '70s one articular regular traffic being the NCL 'trunk haulage' traffic between Paddington Goods and bristol TM Goods although it didn't last for many years before going over to road.  Probably at one time on the 20.30 ex Paddingt0n Goods - Tavistock Jcn which ran via Bristol.

They were photographed at the goods depot west of Truro, presumably on the same traffic, Mike.