Track diagram available for Fratton Yard in the 1970's/80's?

C126

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any sort of diagram of the track layout and facilities of Fratton Yard in the declining years of wagon-load/Speedlink, please?  It would be most useful to accompany Mr Paul Nurse's article in the latest 'Traction' (273).  Judging by the photographs seen, it can not have been an easy site to illustrate.  Many thanks for any info. available.

• RMweb Gold

@Davexoc This is a great help.  Thanks for going to the trouble of providing the link 'ready to view': much appreciated.  Though lovely books, the Middleton Press series neglect freight facilities, and I was not sure where else to turn.  All good wishes.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Quail Maps can help you. I have a copy of their BR Soutern Country Track Map published in 1981 which has the 1978 Fratton track diagram (including the sidings). I will admit it is small - it is 10cm wide for Portsmouth to Fratton.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 30851 said:

Maybe Quail Maps can help you. I have a copy of their BR Soutern Country Track Map published in 1981 which has the 1978 Fratton track diagram (including the sidings). I will admit it is small - it is 10cm wide for Portsmouth to Fratton.

Rob

Of course; I am a dolt!  Although I did not know they went back that far.  Many thanks; will look into it and report a.s.a.p.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to @SED Freightman for the 1959 map above, and @30851 for the Quail maps ref.  My copy of the latter is 1994, so the yard layout is rather reduced.  There is the set of B.R.(S.R.) map booklets by Pryer, but I do not have the Hampshire vol.  I have been wondering about the older Quail map titles for a while...  Many thanks.

Edited by C126
"Pryer" (not 'Pryor') I think.