Capenhurst Station buildings- Scale-up, to build....

HI, 

Is there any one of the scratch building aces on here, that could help with this, please? I am looking to get these buildings done, as party of my proposed layout. At the moment, I only have a few photos, of the main station building and ticket office, and the footprint of the building. I have no indication of height. what is the best way of scratch-building the station house/ticket office? I believe everything was demolished, late 70's- early 80's.

Any advice at all, would be great

Dene

39 minutes ago, Siphon208 said:

Any advice at all, would be great

Dene,

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing on my layout. I'm currently building the old (1883 Midland Railway) Burton-on-Trent station, demolished in 1971/2. You can see what I've been up to at the following link. Just read on from there (ignoring the bits about Swadlincote Bus Station though ...):

As I hope you'll see, I worked from:

1. A 2-chain plan drawing, downloaded from t'internet
  2. Some aerial photos I found on t'internet
  3. Lots of photos I found by crawling around on t'internet

As to important / salient dimensions, the main dimensions came off the 2-chain plan drawing, but that only works in 2D. For the up/down dimension, I used photographs imported into a drawing software program where I could 'scale' a known dimension (eg: from the plan drawing), and then measure off other dimensions. Yes, you could also do this with a simple photo print, a ruler, and a calculator. I have the software, and that just makes it a bit easier. There is always the option of 'counting bricks', but I really didn't need that.

Once I had enough dimensions, I drew up the whole of the station (or at least how I planned to build it to suit my limited space) in the same drawing software. I did spend a lot of time on the Drawing, but that really helps with the next stage.

As I was building the whole thing out of cardboard, I used my Drawing to export 'parts' to a Cricut cutting machine to cut out the cardboard pieces (from old cereal packets). Then, the Drawing was used to print out 'textures' that could be glued onto the cardboard. The textures themselves came from textures.com.

If you are interested, I can send you a PDF of my Station Drawing, which shows how all the above was done.

Ian

When i scrarchbuilt Malton Station in 2mm i colllected images and used known measures for scaling using the adage that if it looks right it is right. 

Try to use stuff like doors, cycles, people, brick counting, seats and cars. 

I estimated the height of Malton Stn cafe by finding out how high the roof was on a Talbot Horizon car as i had a square on image with the car right in front of the building. 

IMG_20220925_141526.jpg.6afbe8ed8fe4d79fcc648cd3f14a5fd7.jpg

Cheers 

Stu

About 20 years ago ( before 3D printing and laser cutting) I built a GT Andrews style station based on Filey for the club layout Micklefield. I had some much reduced drawings from Ken Hooles book, but the key to getting the proportion correct were the photos I took with my then ten year old daughter stood in doorways and in front of windows. Whilst your prototype may be long gone, hopefully one or two of your photos have a person or vehicle from which to begin to scale the drawings. 

My preferred approach would be a large sheet of paper and a sharp pencil. This allows you to quickly sketch the outline and position door openings and windows to the correct height. The drawing can then be placed against the layout to see if the full scale proportion work in model form, or if there is going to have to be some kalifudging. Once happy, data can be inputted into the computer to produce working plans for a third party builder.