RMweb

Enparts BSK coach

pompeystuart

Hello. Looking at modelling an Enparts coach, pictured at Exmouth by Paul Bartlett in 81. It’s an ex BSK, but the photo shows battery boxes and most equipment missing from underneath. Was this how it ran, or had the equipment been removed prior to scrapping perhaps.

Does anyone know of any good sources of info relating to Enparts coaches, or photos please.

TIA

13 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

was the guard's compartment still in use

I wouldn't expect it to be - Enparts vehicles worked circuits from works to a sequence of sheds and back to the works; as such they usually travelled in convenient NPCCS trains [apart from trip workings at either end], which would always have at least one diagrammed brake. Also, it was an engineers' vehicle, not a traffic vehicle. It may have kept the handbrake standard, but otherwise the interior would have been stripped of partitions and seating on conversion AFAIK, and no electrics imply no heating or lighting.

55 minutes ago, pompeystuart said:

Looking at modelling an Enparts coach, pictured at Exmouth by Paul Bartlett in 81. It’s an ex BSK, but the photo shows battery boxes and most equipment missing from underneath. Was this how it ran, or had the equipment been removed prior to scrapping perhaps.

I presume this is ADB975138? If so, it still has one visible vacuum cylinder [and presumably the other one and the relevant linkages] which is all it needed. No passengers so no need for dynamo and batteries. Whether it has dual brake or an air pipe I can't tell, but I think it is probably vacuum only and withdrawn, particularly given the date and the broken windows, and its location in the C & W works rather than the MPD. The adjacent china clay wagon is green carded, but unlikely to be repaired in view of the date, I think.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

I wouldn't expect it to be - Enparts vehicles worked circuits from works to a sequence of sheds and back to the works; as such they usually travelled in convenient NPCCS trains [apart from trip workings at either end], which would always have at least one diagrammed brake. Also, it was an engineers' vehicle, not a traffic vehicle. It may have kept the handbrake standard, but otherwise the interior would have been stripped of partitions and seating on conversion AFAIK, and no electrics imply no heating or lighting.

I presume this is ADB975138? If so, it still has one visible vacuum cylinder [and presumably the other one and the relevant linkages] which is all it needed. No passengers so no need for dynamo and batteries. Whether it has dual brake or an air pipe I can't tell, but I think it is probably vacuum only and withdrawn, particularly given the date and the broken windows, and its location in the C & W works rather than the MPD. The adjacent china clay wagon is green carded, but unlikely to be repaired in view of the date, I think.

Brilliant, the info I was hoping for. Many thanks.

I hadn’t appreciated the windows were smashed in the picture (yes ADB975138), I’d assumed wrongly they were clear or removed for a purpose. 
Thanks again