Clockwork train set and layout.

ianp

Now the country is moving rapidly back to the 1950s I thought I'd like to join in and have a clockwork, tinplate, railway running around under my Christmas tree. What is the best way to proceed? There seem to be plenty of second-hand items for sale on eBay. These appear to be mainly O gauge, of the Meccano/Hornby/Triang variety. All I want is stuff that will run reliably. How can I tell, other than relying on the advertiser's honest description? Are there any shops that sell these things where I can examine the goods for sale? Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Of course it is a very good idea to put a tinplate railway under the tree. Be aware that a clockwork train runs only sporadic (you have to wind it). You might consider an electric tinplate train (with a headlight!). Most, if not all, Hornby tinplate trains were made in both electric and clockwork versions and Hornby would be the best for a simple 0-4-0 train in clockwork or electric. Instead of going to a shop you might try to find a local train swapmeet to buy a train of your liking. And in my experience you can rely on eBay sellers with a good eBay reputation (feedback).

Here is a Hornby electric tinplate train I had under my tree:

Regards

Fred

• Like 2

If you weren’t aware of electrically powered tinplate trains, you may also be unaware that 0 gauge ones have been back in production for the past c25 years, in fact I think one Czech manufacturer may have continued making them throughout.

I won’t suggest that you look at my thread to find out about some of it, because it rambles off in all sorts of directions, suffice to say that this is modern tin, and is entirely compatible with the Hornby clockwork trains mentioned in the other thread, in fact the cattle truck is c1950 Hornby.

9C4DDD8F-7AE9-485D-BA68-42035A739853.jpeg.15ba7ce618b48f7e4cd4753beb8faaf5.jpeg

PS: it might be worth asking the mods to combine the two threads.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

If you want the classic Hornby tinplate look, the track comes in two radii, 1 foot and 2 foot. The 1 foot is for the 0-4-0s and budget engines, the track is dead cheap, especially clockwork, indeed you can barely give clockwork away so don't get suckered into paying vintage prices.

Loose secondhand wagons are also inexpensive and then you want a well-loved loose but working engine with key to haul them - this will cost the most but if you are after battered but functional it will still be a fairly models cost. Vintage train fairs and auction job lots tend to be the best hunting ground.

This one? The lack of a key might be a problem a drop of oil will sove the other problems

https://www.ebay.co.uk

Hornby 0 gauge M0 and M1 (or the BR versions) 1 foot radius

Everything else 2 foot (equivalent to Tri-ang/Trix 13½" in 00).

Pre-war there were canted curved rails which allegedly allowed the larger 0-4-0Ts

to go around a 1 foot radius but you'd need 2 foot around a tree.

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi sncf231e,

Some of us never left the 1940s, let alone 50s. This layout used to belong to a good friend of mine. Sadly, it is no more. Its spirit lives on in pictures. It was sold to pay for other projects. It was a mixture of electric and clockwork locos.

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 5

I've recently ended up with a couple of Tri-ang 00 gauge clockwork locos which came in a job lot which I bought for some other locos.

They aren't tinplate, but use the same plastic bodies as some of the electric Tri-ang locos (diesel shunter and steam saddle tank).

More on the Tri-ang range can be found here:

http://tri-ang.co.uk/indexlocoC.html

I've been quite impressed with how well they run - easily completing a lap of my 4m x 6m loft layout on a single wind and maintaining a sensible speed rather than a speed fast enough to mean corners are a worry!

I've put them on eBay for someone who will appreciate them more 🙂

Edited by Tofufi

• 2 weeks later...

You shouldn't need banked 2ft rails, but they wouldn't hurt if you can find them - they are a pre-war only product (and possibly only 1ft radius - I don't have my 'bible' to hand to check).

Connecting plates are needed at each rail joint, unless the track is screwed to some sort of base, so indeed one per track section. Pointwork requies more obviously. Points have a special wire clip.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the wheelbase of the 0 gauge Hornby M1 locomotives?

I was thinking of making a model* of one of the first streamlined GWR railcars with the shrouding over the wheels and thought of using a spare M1 works I have to power it. At present I am in Italy and the mech. is in the UK....

* It will be somewhat simplified and possibly shortened in the tinplate tradition though card is the planned material.