BAPM MEET yesterday

shortliner

Guest 30-something

That mini-layout is superb, no excuse now for not having any space. Great idea.

My girlfriend says like a railway running round the Millenium Falcon!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Still can't figure out the track layout on this cracking layout,can any one help?

I tried sketching it in Paint,but you don't want to see it. I think it's a figure-8, folded over on itself with one loop inside the other. A single slip or pair of facing switches with a crossover between their diverging routes would improve operations alot.

http://www.pbase.com/atsf_arizona/image/125989913

So in the above photo, the tank car is on the back of the train with the UP switcher on the front, and a loop inside the buildings. The outer loop runs round the outside.

Thanks,still can't figure it out,do you think it's sectional track? Need to see it as a plan,would like a bash at something like this,cheers Rob.

Dear Robbo,

It's a really quick n ugly MSPaint schematic, but does this help?

baf.gif

Red Lines = track (suspect average 15-16" radii, with tighter sections)

dashed red line = track hidden inside the building (suspect relatively consistent/smotth 12" radii)

Brown lines = approx outline/footprint of the building

blue "tunnel portals" = where track enters/exits the building

Obviously, the layout is built on a 3' dia circle benchwork, not square as implied by the drawing wink.gif

No, I do not think it's sectional track, as the radii of the hidden trackage is around 12", as is the "kinks" leading into the outer legs of the diamond crossing. A close look at the turnout around the back of the layout seems to suggest it's a Atlas item, and Atlas also do small/short diamond crossings. Ergo, I suspect the trackwork is either code 83 or 100 Atlas flextrack and the above-mentioned pieces.

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

"...everybody's gettin' sidetracked lookin' for mysteries,

sometimes it's the most deceptively simple plans what are the most engaging/attractive/appealing..."

Talk about 'thinking outside the box' !! Nice layout, you need a loco that can run reliably at low speed all day, - that rules out anything from Lima with the old pancake motor then!! I was just thinking a British version would be nice, with a class 33 and some short 4 wheel vans and maybe a few cement or salt wagons.

Dear Robbo,

It's a really quick n ugly MSPaint schematic, but does this help?

baf.gif

Red Lines = track (suspect average 15-16" radii, with tighter sections)

dashed red line = track hidden inside the building (suspect relatively consistent/smotth 12" radii)

Brown lines = approx outline/footprint of the building

blue "tunnel portals" = where track enters/exits the building

Obviously, the layout is built on a 3' dia circle benchwork, not square as implied by the drawing wink.gif

No, I do not think it's sectional track, as the radii of the hidden trackage is around 12", as is the "kinks" leading into the outer legs of the diamond crossing. A close look at the turnout around the back of the layout seems to suggest it's a Atlas item, and Atlas also do small/short diamond crossings. Ergo, I suspect the trackwork is either code 83 or 100 Atlas flextrack and the above-mentioned pieces.

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

"...everybody's gettin' sidetracked lookin' for mysteries,Thanks for sketch,will try with some Peco track I have.

sometimes it's the most deceptively simple plans what are the most engaging/attractive/appealing..."

Talk about 'thinking outside the box' !! Nice layout, you need a loco that can run reliably at low speed all day, - that rules out anything from Lima with the old pancake motor then!! I was just thinking a British version would be nice, with a class 33 and some short 4 wheel vans and maybe a few cement or salt wagons.

Dear Carboot,

When I saw the double-headed Athearn SW1500s, my first thought was

"I'd hate to see the thrashing the drivelines /shafts are getting"

If you were building locos _specifically_ to run on such a layout, replacing the stock mech with an under-floor drive like a pair of 27:1 ratio Black Beetles

http://home.waterfront.net.au/~sem/bbeetle.htm

would be just the ticket. Then all you'd need to worry about is whether the coupler swing between the locos n cars would become the 'weak link"... biggrin.gif unsure.gif

In terms of UK stuff, I'm not sure that any of the 0-6-0 diesel shunters would make it around the 12" curves, unless the centre wheels were blind/flangeless. That said, I'm seeing some nice smooth running out of the newer Bachmann Branchline stuff,

so smooth/slow mech + flangeless centre wheels + small UK 4-whl wagons = smile.gif ???

Hmmm....

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Thanks for sketch.Rob.

Dear Rob,

No worries, glad it helped. It's actually a deceptively simple "folded figure 8"...

As mentioned above,

replacing the diamond with a double-slip would render the inner 12" circle as a pair of "back-to-back spurs",

and the outside 15" circle as the "mainline",

with a short/sharp "reverse-direction" kink thru the dbl-slip...

(but would increase the "switching/shunting" factor by a few notches wink.gif )

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear Rob,

No worries, glad it helped. It's actually a deceptively simple "folded figure 8"...

As mentioned above,

replacing the diamond with a double-slip would render the inner 12" circle as a pair of "back-to-back spurs",

and the outside 15" circle as the "mainline",

with a short/sharp "reverse-direction" kink thru the dbl-slip...

(but would increase the "switching/shunting" factor by a few notches wink.gif )

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear RMWeb fans,

This just broke, YouTube posted of this fantastic little layout

Thanks to Ian @ Small-Layout-Design yahoogroup for the link!

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear Carboot,

When I saw the double-headed Athearn SW1500s, my first thought was

"I'd hate to see the thrashing the drivelines /shafts are getting"

If you were building locos _specifically_ to run on such a layout, replacing the stock mech with an under-floor drive like a pair of 27:1 ratio Black Beetles

http://home.waterfront.net.au/~sem/bbeetle.htm

would be just the ticket. Then all you'd need to worry about is whether the coupler swing between the locos n cars would become the 'weak link"... biggrin.gif unsure.gif

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

My HO scale layout uses a minimum 12" radius, and i've found most cars up to 50' length are fine, although coupling them on a curve is an issue. Loco wise, i've run Athearn locos up to a GP38 (including a SW1500), CF7, Atlas S4, Bachmann 44, 45 and 70 tonners, plus a few brass interurban locos.

I once built a figure-8 test track on a 4' x 2' sheet of MDF, and played the same "train chasing it's tail" game as on the video..!! The tightness of the redius is less of a problem, the main issue being any sharp kinks or "S" curves that the trucks or couplers did't like.

I think I would put the line a bit further out instead of using a slip, the reverse curves would be nasty, you'd end up handbuilding a "sharp" slip and embedding the slip in the road would be hell anyway...my suggestion would be something like:

post-6762-127903280219.jpg

Gives you a bit of spare track to leave cars on whilst switching, if you didn't have too many cars and had each door as a different industry you could do origin-destination traffic, pick up from one location, run round the train, deliver to the other, run round the train...etc etc

How about r/c or otherwise moveable vehicles that you have to move out of the way before switching the industries.

But I think you've still got the problem that any continuous layout, even with a 12 inch radius in HO, is going to stick out into the space in such a way that the room needed to tend the thing with non-compressable human bodies is going to double (or more) the actual space consumed. Especially for street running, a shelf layout is maybe even better suited to switching.

But I think you've still got the problem that any continuous layout, even with a 12 inch radius in HO, is going to stick out into the space in such a way that the room needed to tend the thing with non-compressable human bodies is going to double (or more) the actual space consumed. Especially for street running, a shelf layout is maybe even better suited to switching.

A friend has built a similar sized layout for a minimum space competition, and i'd have to agree that such a finished project can be quite bulky. We did suggest making an outer covering from old carpet and rolling the layout into exhibition halls on it's side..!! :

http://www.kathymillatt.co.uk/logging_layout.htm

But then again, this type of layout is more of a fun side project than the serious main one. Imagine either of these with a glass lid over the top, for use as a coffee table...

Archived