4552 / early 45xx cab roof detail

• RMweb Premium

Hoping someone may be able to help. Small prairie 4552 had a unique, or at least very rare, sideways opening cab roof shutter: I think this might have been how they were built but most later changed to a normal front to back type.

I've only really got one photo in the Liskeard and Looe book but it isnt clear enough to see the detail of the runners. Wondered if anyone has or knows of a clearer shot of either 4552, or the early design?

I've made the attached based on the normal type rotated but not entirely convinced by it.

Thanks in advance

20221211_214114.jpg.e94ed9c738e3fc5394970fcca98a29e3.jpg.652b35170d7cb9f204c25d6d61d8b139.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I believe the 44xx class originally had wooden roofs which were changed to steel by the early 1920s. Not sure about the 45s though. All the early pictures I've seen seem to show steel. But stand to be corrected.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

In the end I've bought one of the pics of 4552 from the Transport Library and zoomed right in, you can see more than I'd expected. They are just the standard runners but at 90 degrees to normal. They don't look anything like as prominent in real life though so will fettle what I've done as fine as I dare.

• Like 1