Selby station pre war.

doilum

On 18/12/2022 at 10:14, t-b-g said:

That sounds like one heck (local pun alert for those who know the area!) of a project. I can fully understand why somebody would not want it sharing on the internet but I hope we get to see something of it one day.

I worked at Selby for quite a few years but the station was just too far away to walk there and back and have lunch in an hour, so I only went there occasionally and didn't take may photos, which would be in the early 1980s and too late in period anyway.

I am interested in how much the layout covers. The goods yard (including the original station) was a large area and in 7mm, it would be quite spectacular.  

Given his that this is 7mm and we don't quite have the floor space of the Abbey the layout concentrates on the bridge and station approach. A full representation would be a challenge even in N gauge.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 14/12/2022 at 10:20, iands said:

By the way, I make no apologies for blatantly plugging the book as all proceeds go to the Railway Children's charity.

Ordered a copy after seeing this, it arrived yesterday by Royal Mail (strikes, what strikes? 😆)

The book is excellent. High quality large format paperback, lots of illustrations I have never seen before covering all periods of the station’s history and not just photos but original drawings and maps. Coupled with a *lot* of meaty text which is well-written & well-researched it’s a pleasure to read.  It also has an index - praise be!

Dont confuse this with a thin “Selby-in-the-last-days-of-steam” picture book.  This book could have been published by the NER Association (and that’s a high standard to reach.)

And after that, the profits are all for a worthy cause.  If you have any interest in the railways in and around Selby buy it.

Personal favourite - the picture of the LNWR express in the up platform - named LNWR 4-4-0 heading a complete train of LNWR stock from Hull, with no other stock in sight.  One of those pictures that should be used in a “guess the location” quiz!

cheers,

RichardT

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

22 hours ago, RichardT said:

Ordered a copy after seeing this, it arrived yesterday by Royal Mail (strikes, what strikes? 😆)

The book is excellent. High quality large format paperback, lots of illustrations I have never seen before covering all periods of the station’s history and not just photos but original drawings and maps. Coupled with a *lot* of meaty text which is well-written & well-researched it’s a pleasure to read.  It also has an index - praise be!

Dont confuse this with a thin “Selby-in-the-last-days-of-steam” picture book.  This book could have been published by the NER Association (and that’s a high standard to reach.)

And after that, the profits are all for a worthy cause.  If you have any interest in the railways in and around Selby buy it.

Personal favourite - the picture of the LNWR express in the up platform - named LNWR 4-4-0 heading a complete train of LNWR stock from Hull, with no other stock in sight.  One of those pictures that should be used in a “guess the location” quiz!

cheers,

RichardT

So, reasonable pre-Grouping coverage?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So, reasonable pre-Grouping coverage?

I'm afraid the short answer is 'no'. Whilst there are some early photos and references to the pre-grouping era, there isn't a dedicated section or chapter on the pre-grouping period. 

1 hour ago, iands said:

I'm afraid the short answer is 'no'. Whilst there are some early photos and references to the pre-grouping era, there isn't a dedicated section or chapter on the pre-grouping period. 

Thank you, I'll know to pass. A book with a blue diesel on the cover would have been too much of a shock to the system!