Misleading Ads

I can see that advertising is a way of raising revenue for this site but I feel that some control over what is shown should be applied.  Ads that are generally related to railways and railway modelling have a place but there are also ads appearing that are little more than scams designed to mislead.

For example 'Heater Warms Up Room in 2 min'  The claims made for this product are highly misleading and the 'user comments' are clearly faked, as they appear under different names in many similar ads.  Look at 'Trustpilot' reviews to see some more realistic comments on the actual capabilities and the hazards associated with such devices. 

Is it not possible to exercise some control over what is shown on this site?  I don't think it is good for the credibility of this site to promote such items.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

The ads on this site include tracking scripts.

You are seeing that ad because you have been looking at room heater web sites, Trustpilot reviews of them, etc.

No-one else is seeing that ad, unless they have been doing the same.

You can prevent such targeted advertising by setting tracking protection to "strict" in you browser. That also prevents most ads from appearing, on this and all web sites.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MikeOxon said:

I can see that advertising is a way of raising revenue for this site...

There have been a multitude of previous topics, why the need for another? Just read the existing ones. Adverts pay for you to read the site for free if you don't want to pay £12 for Premium membership.

• AY Mod locked this topic