The Airfix/Dapol Thatched Cottage

37 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Well, I'm not going say it's finished - that's pretty intemperate language. But I have stopped, for the time being.

I decided not to deal with the gap between thatch and chimney. The cure might be worse than the disease.

I had a horror of people looking in through an upstairs window and out through a downstairs window, so I was planning to install card baffles inside. That turned out not to be necessary.

finished_cottage_rear.png.9100fe0e84eb86bdb4a44a81e307e634.png

If this was a brick building it would clearly be an H0 model - hopelessly small for 1/76. But it's alright for an old timber framed house to be small and have low ceilings. This elegant Andrew Stadden lady would have to duck to get in even without her hat. But in fact she wouldn't dream of entering such a nasty little hovel. She's only here to deliver religious tracts and pamphlets about the evils of drinks.

finished_cottage_front.png.d6915c3e4e67b23742cb6d013a5dc41e.png

She's wasting her time. Druids have been operating a still in here for 9 generations.

My next piece of model building nostalgia will involve Linka moulds.

Linka: now, there's a blast from the past! 😊

2 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Well, I'm not going say it's finished - that's pretty intemperate language. But I have stopped, for the time being.

I decided not to deal with the gap between thatch and chimney. The cure might be worse than the disease.

I had a horror of people looking in through an upstairs window and out through a downstairs window, so I was planning to install card baffles inside. That turned out not to be necessary.

finished_cottage_rear.png.9100fe0e84eb86bdb4a44a81e307e634.png

If this was a brick building it would clearly be an H0 model - hopelessly small for 1/76. But it's alright for an old timber framed house to be small and have low ceilings. This elegant Andrew Stadden lady would have to duck to get in even without her hat. But in fact she wouldn't dream of entering such a nasty little hovel. She's only here to deliver religious tracts and pamphlets about the evils of drinks.

finished_cottage_front.png.d6915c3e4e67b23742cb6d013a5dc41e.png

She's wasting her time. Druids have been operating a still in here for 9 generations.

My next piece of model building nostalgia will involve Linka moulds.

That's come up well! Does its "hopelessly small" stature make it suitable for use in one of them scenic 'forced perspectives' one often reads about.....? 🤔

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Does its "hopelessly small" stature make it suitable for use in one of them scenic 'forced perspectives' one often reads about.....? 🤔

That could well be a good idea, although maybe to be useful for this purpose it would have to have more smallness. In any case, if/when I finally manage to make a layout, it will probably be a minimum 009 and too small for any optical shenanigans. I would also want it to be viewable from all sides.

• Like 2