Malmesbury Railway Companion by Mike Fenton

Craigw

It would be fair to say that I have a substantial book collection. While I have many shelves of books, there are some that are firm favourites. One of these is The Malmesbury Branch written by Mike Fenton and published by Wild Swan in 1990. This is a branch that ticks the boxes for me and the book is beautifully written, an absolute delight to read.

Mike has continued doing research on the branch and Lightmoor Press have just released a companion volume to the original title.

This is not a revised history, it is a further 199 pages of additional information much of which is recollections of staff members Mike had talked to since writing the original book. The photographic coverage is excellent. I have seen some of the photos before but many are new too. The chapters cover such diverse subjects as the station truck, Dauntsey Station, Little Somerford and the Station Staff. Plus, of course much more.

The reproduction of images is excellent and the book is beautifully presented. 

In my opinion this is a very worthy addition to the bookshelves of anyone who has an interest in the Malmesbury branch, or Great Western branches in general

35 GBP.  ISBN 9781915069146

IMG_E0522.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I would also recommend this book. I have the original book, which is more of a technical description of the line and its history. This new book is far more story driven and provides an excellent insight into life on and around the railway at Malmesbury. There are also many new images featured, including some reproduced in colour.

Overall it's a worthy companion to the original Wild Swan book and if you're interested in the Malmesbury branch and branchline operations of the era, it's provides many interesting and varied stories and anecdotes.

All the best,

Jack

• Like 1