ArCoMoRa DCCNext fine with PC, not with DCC system

Taigatrommel

Hi all,

I've got a DCCNext to operate some servos for point switching.  Setting it up with the PC is fine, and testing the outputs in Mardec operates the servos as it should.  However, when I come to trying it with DCC, I'm getting no joy - no movement whatsoever . I've tried with both DR5000 with DAISY II handset and Fleischmann Twin-Center.  I've tried with the power jumper on "SERVO" and "INTERN", with +5 and ground in the servo input at all times and +12 and ground in the 9-16v input when on intern.  All LEDs illuminate for the appropriate inputs, and the status LED is glowing happily during both successful test under PC control through Mardec and when connected to power/DCC as it would be on a layout.

Here's what I've got as settings in Mardec.  The angles aren't so important yet, I'll tune those to suit the points.

Mardec1.png.5653a4f2ee414ba8c00077043570902a.png

I'd welcome any pointers to get this working with DCC!

Are all your answers "I don't know, contact the shop/manufacturer"?  By asking a question on an open forum it creates the possibility of there being an answer which comes up in web searches, potentially helping others.  If your instinct is to reply with "I don't know why I bother trying to help", well, you haven't helped and I don't know why you bothered either.

I have given you the website where you can contact the manufactures of the product who know everything about their products, whereas people here know very little, if anything, about a niche product.

I consider that I am being extremely helpful, as would most people, however you clearly consider that we should research your issues and provide you with the answers. I, for one, am not going to do that, and I suspect that very few, if any others, will provide your answer either.

If you don't like my answers - tough, as you say it is an open forum, and I am providing you with the answer that is most likely to resolve your issue without wasting your, and everyone else's time.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Taigatrommel said:

Hi all,

I've got a DCCNext to operate some servos for point switching.  Setting it up with the PC is fine, and testing the outputs in Mardec operates the servos as it should.  However, when I come to trying it with DCC, I'm getting no joy - no movement whatsoever . I've tried with both DR5000 with DAISY II handset and Fleischmann Twin-Center. .....

I'd welcome any pointers to get this working with DCC!

The first thing to look for with accessories is the notorious problem of accessory address offsets.    This is down to two interpretations of the DCC standard, and results in accessories sometimes being off-set by a consistent amount (its either 1 or 4, depending how the system deals with accessories). 

So, your stated addresses in Marco could correspond to addresses 1-4 or 9-12 depending how this offset is behaving between the two setups.  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

Come on @Taigatrommel that was quite a reasonable and sensible first step suggestion that Iain made and he even provided the link to get help.  It was unfair to retort in that way - perhaps you are having a bad day! 

Iain @WIMorrison is one of the most helpful people on this forum and I've seen him provide complex detailed help to many people. His contribution to this forum is most valuable and he deserves respect for that. Anyone on the receiving end of his help would do well to read it carefully and follow whatever he suggests. I appreciate that sometimes we don't always get the answers we are hoping for, or sometimes the answers may start to sound a bit complicated but please everyone be nice to each other. It's Christmas after all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

The first thing to look for with accessories is the notorious problem of accessory address offsets.    This is down to two interpretations of the DCC standard, and results in accessories sometimes being off-set by a consistent amount (its either 1 or 4, depending how the system deals with accessories). 

So, your stated addresses in Marco could correspond to addresses 1-4 or 9-12 depending how this offset is behaving between the two setups.  

- Nigel

I tried the offset within the DCCNext settings in Mardec for Z21/Multimaus, I'll give it a go manually trying those addresses in the morning.  Thanks!

Edited by Taigatrommel

3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I consider that I am being extremely helpful, as would most people, however you clearly consider that we should research your issues and provide you with the answers. I, for one, am not going to do that, and I suspect that very few, if any others, will provide your answer either.

I really don't consider you not "helping" further a loss.  I had looked at your post history before my comment.  I'm not expecting anyone else to research, it's simply that someone else might have had the same issues too.  I'm reasonably literate, I can google, compose emails and read a manual...

Having a new day with a fresh mind, I started by making a DCC - Arduino interface to check that processes worked with an Arduino Uno (I only have the one DCC Next), I was working through the steps in the Mardec manual again to see which pins on the Uno related to which ports in Mardec, I spotted the single keystroke I missed to make it work.

Having configured my ports on the DCC Next, I should have then pressed "E" to enter runtime mode.  I reconnected my DCC Next to the PC, did so, and now it's working.  And I also now have a piece of hardware that I didn't before, so I can play further with Arduinos and DCC,

• Like 2