Peco electrofrog under wire question

Mind the gap

Morning all,

quick question, it’s been a long time since i have installed a Peco electrofrog point, i have had to replace one and just wondered if it is still practice to cut out the tiny wire under the point that connects the rails and then solder across the rails ??

Many thanks

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I that’s what I do - assuming you mean to solder to connect the rail and blade, on each side. But many people don’t do this apparently, and get ok running, I hear. Don’t forget the small wire to connect the frog, for polarity switching.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ITG said:

Yes, I that’s what I do - assuming you mean to solder to connect the rail and blade, on each side. But many people don’t do this apparently, and get ok running, I hear. Don’t forget the small wire to connect the frog, for polarity switching.

Many Thanks ITG

I would definitely solder the switch rail to the stock rail. I would go a step further than this & continue the wire to the bus/section feed rather than pull the current through the rail from a feed elsewhere.

I believe one of the Y points still uses the old tooling without the breaks between switch rails & frog.

I have about 80 and haven't cut one yet.  That's  on 1 amp DC.    Probably need to snip the wires, feed the frog and also link the point blades across the pivots with DCC  or 2 amp DC.   Not many people run more than 1 amp DC but I sometimes run 5 loco lash ups on DC needing 2 amps and I run into all the issues other folk have with DCC voltage drop etc.