Which route through NW London did the South Yorkshireman and Master Cutler use in the 1950s?

Downer

• RMweb Premium

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/master-cutler-routing.232983/

(Scroll down for historical discussion)

Post #29: "To add to the variety in steam days, the up Cutler on the GC to Marylebone was routed via Aylesbury, whilst the down went via Princes Risborough."

Post#59: "When i were a lad - the garden of our house in north London backed onto the Marylebone-Aylesbury line - and the 'Cutler' regularly sprayed dirty smoke and steam all over mum's washing."

The only other references I can find in a quick Google search just say it ran on 'the GC main line'.

As a youngster I regularly saw the Cutler and the Yorkshireman running through Pinner and always wondered why I never saw the down Cutler. Later found out that it went back 'the other way'!

Those days the Met line was only double track and these expresses simply mixed it with the 'T' stock EMUs and Met electric locos with Dreadnaught stock. The staff at Pinner would always shout out 'Stand back - fast one coming!' or 'This one is not stopping!'

Brings back memories!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have seen a photo of the Down 'South Yorkshireman' on the joint Line and it no doubt turned right at Ashendon Jcn towards the GC route.  the down Cutler was similarly routed as going via Ashendon Jcn was the fastest route across to the GC main line.

Neither of these trains appear in the Winter 1958/59 WTT covering the Joint Line so if they were still running on the GC by then they were at that time running via Pinner in both directions (but I do wonder when they were transferred to the ECML?).

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I do wonder when they were transferred to the ECML?

September 1958 as a Pullman train, according to D.L. Percival "King's Cross Lineside 1958-1984".

• Thanks 1